A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Carlos3323

Right-of-way Simultaneous Right And Left Turn Opposing Traffic

by: Carlos3323 on

Hello,

Can anyone please clarify if it is legal for a car turning left to make a turn at the same time as car turning right. They start off as opposing traffic but are turning into the same two lane road.

Situation:

I approach an intersecton on a green light, start making a right turn. At exactly the same time a car from opposite direction turns left. We are both turning at the same time: me to the right lane, the other driver into the left lane.

I always thought the right turning driver has the right-of-way ant the other driver has to wait until I complete my turn. This seems to be standard practice in every day driving, except when meeting an agressive driver.

I'va always been taught that "law" prohibits lane changes and turns if at least two lanes aren't clear in the direction of movement. I'm saying "law" because it's just someone's say so.

To me it seems like the left turning vehicle in my scenario should wait. Simultaneous turns create unnecessarily tense situations because most people simply don't do it.

What does the Law say about this? What does the common sense say?

Curious as to you opinions.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You have the right to the lane the HTA determines for you. If there's two lanes, then there's a designated lane for both parties:

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

Left turn, at intersection

(6) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the left into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the right of the centre line of the highway and he or she shall make the left turn by entering the intersection to the right of the centre line or its extension and by leaving the intersection in the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by passing immediately to the right of the centre line of the intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (6).
iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

The Highway Traffic Act allows the left turning driver to turn into Lane 1 (furthest to the left), and the law allows you to turn right into Lane 2 (furthest to the right). Both manoevures can be done at the exact same time, as long as it's safe to do so.

I agree use common sense, if it's a long vehicle like a transport truck or a bus making a right turn, left turning driver should wait. But if it's your typical passenger car or motorcycle, both should be able to make the turn into their appropriate lanes at the exact same time.

If you personally don't feel comfortable making the right turn at the same time, you can choose to wait for the other driver to make the left turn.

Highway Traffic Act prohibits drivers from turning into the other lanes. Right turning driver can't turn into Lane 1, and left turning driver can't turn into Lane 2.

denish

Posting Awards

by: denish on

Common sense would agree with you, 2 cars turning at the same time is not ideal, although perfectly legal. However suggesting the left turning should wait for you, I don't agree. If anything, you could have waited for the left turning vehicle. You know yourself, if you are turning left, you want to get out of there asap.

Post a Reply