Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Left on red?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:35 am 

Hey everybody. I have a question. There is a street nearby that is a one way street going west. It intersects with a one way street going south. This intersection has traffic lights. When the light is red many people will turn left on red just like you would right on red. While waiting for the green light I have even seen a police car do it. Is it legal? It follows the basic principals of right on red but reversed or mirrored (if that makes sence).

Is there anything in the HTA about this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:30 pm 

I've seen a Peel Police car go down an unlit street, at night, without the headlights on. Just because you see a police car do something, doesn't mean you won't get ticketed for following suit. As far as I know turning left on red, even under those circumstances would be illegal, but I could be wrong in this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:51 pm 

Provided it is from a one-way street on to a one-way street, you can turn left on a red. Section 144 (19) of the HTA:

Quote:
Exception – turn

(19) Despite subsection (18 ) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,

(a) turn to the right; or

(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,

without a green indication being shown.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:26 pm 

Thanks guys.

Firestart: I just mentioned what I saw including observing the police make the turn. Just saying.

RI: thanks for the direct quote. What section did that come from? Exceptions to red light?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:42 pm 

Thanks for the update RI.
b81: Just wanted to give you an all-encompassing warning as you'd be surprised at how many people who get ticketed say "but I've seen a police cruiser do it."
RI already mentioned that it's Section 144 of the Highway Traffic Act.