A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

Don't Use The Same Brush!

by: hwybear on

We all see people that have a connection with something which mispresents the profession, hobby etc.. but everyone else gets painted with the same brush.

What I observed today. (while OFD)

Driving on the street (major city road = 4 lanes). See a cyclist (bicycle) with the helmet, shirt, shorts, water bottle. Was thinking that it is awesome for someone to be out biking. I move to the left lane to give lots of room and go by and return to the right hand lane and come to a stop light another 30 seconds later. This cyclist does not remain in line of traffic (7-8 vehicles) but slides up past all the cars again :evil: . The light turns and traffic moves, of course having to re-adjust and change lanes again to avoid the cyclist. Reach another stop light at a t-intersection, so the thru road I am on is red. Here comes cyclist dude again, passes all the cars again, but then swerves into a driveway, down the sidewalk to avoid the light, another driveway and back in front of all the cars again. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Reminding myself not to "paint" all cyclists with the same brush for this moron today.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

The problem is that too many cyclists expect to be treated as cars by other participants in traffic and as a cross b/w pedestrians and superbeings (immune to the law) by the police. I make sure I honk at every cyclist running a red/going in the opposite direction of a 1-way street.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Here's my big city take on it. OK the cyclist should not have gone on the sidewalk, that was wrong. But the other part which frustrated you is actually the way it's supposed to be! You have to share the road and yes he's supposed to slide up beside you. Rather than thinking, ugh I've got to pass this guy again, you should think this guy doesn't pay insurance, gas, car payments, pollute the environment, he's staying healthy AND he's keeping up with me! It puts the whole I need a car thing into perspective.

Don't get frustrated when a bike keeps up or overtakes you. Torontonians (except the cyclists of course) know the frustration of being stuck in rush hour traffic and the PEDESTRIANS pass you!

Fight Your Ticket!
FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

The problem is that the cyclist community keeps whining that bicycles should be treated like cars in terms of lane discipline, but they don't mind running red lights and going in the wrong direction in one-way streets. Then they get pissed off on those all too rare occasions when they get ticketed for it. On one occasion, a bicycle rider almost got killed when I almost made a left turn into him. He was very fortunate that I am always on the lookout for cars heading in the wrong direction and barely noticed him. He had the temerity to start shouting at me until I stepped out of the car and gave him my $0.02 on the situation.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

yes, we have to share the road, we also have to remain in our own lane. Bicyles also have the right to the complete lane of traffic, often it is unsafe and not enough room for a car and a bike on the same lane anyway....so they have their spot on a lane in traffic....stay there

better yet...wait in line for theatre tickets, but someone just walks to the front of the line past many patrons b/c there is room to do so

thankfully I do not patrol this city. hmm, wonder how many have a bell and how many have reflective tape on their front and rear forks when riding at night?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

I'm not saying cyclists are saints. Basically anyone with balance can ride a "vehicle" on the roads with the little training they got from their early childhood. And I have NEVER seen a bicycle in compliance with the Act at night.

I've had more than my fair share of close calls, especially making a right turn at any downtown intersection.

hwybear wrote:better yet...wait in line for theatre tickets, but someone just walks to the front of the line past many patrons b/c there is room to do so
The difference is that you and the bike are not going to the same destination so they are not butting in line. However, if "theatre tickets" is a posh euphemism for Tim's then I totally get it! :lol:
Fight Your Ticket!
hwybear

Posting Awards

ticketcombat wrote:However, if "theatre tickets" is a posh euphemism for Tim's then I totally get it! :lol:

hey wait a minute

sorry, got distracted, where were we again...

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Mmm... Tim Horton's...

FiReSTaRT wrote:The problem is that the cyclist community keeps whining that bicycles should be treated like cars in terms of lane discipline, but they don't mind running red lights and going in the wrong direction in one-way streets.

And riding on narrow sidewalks at 40 km/h, then they get livid at the pedestrians for not "getting out of the way." And blowing stop signs and yelling at pedestrians, bus drivers, firefighters :shock: for having the "gall" to try to exercise something most of us call "right of way." And turning left from the right curb across a busy street. Also, we had that incident that lrndthehardway ran in to, where a cyclist darted out in front of him, then she lost control, wiped out and tried to sue him and get him charged for an incident that was entirely her fault. Okay it's not all of them, but that sort of behaviour is what gets remembered, rather than the others who ride safely.

On the same sort of subject line... two weeks ago, I stopped at a traffic light on Lawrence Avenue in Toronto. No big deal - then an avid cyclist coming in the other direction roars up beside the cars that were stopped and tries to blow through the light. In front of a cop car. The cop hit the lights, blipped the siren and grabbed the bullhorn: "CYCLIST, STOP RIGHT THERE!" :)

The cyclist stopped. "THAT'S A RED LIGHT. YOU HAVE TO STOP, IT'S THE LAW. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT YOU'RE RUNNING A RED LIGHT IN FRONT OF A POLICE OFFICER. NICE MOVE!" :lol: "THAT'S HOW CYCLISTS GET KILLED. IF YOU DON'T SMARTEN UP YOU'RE GOING TO BE DEAD, PARALYZED OR DISABLED, OR BEST CASE, A LOT POORER FROM GETTING TICKETS. STOP FOR THE RED!"

The cyclist was all flustered and red in the face. Light turned green, everyone kept going, but he pulled off on the curb, probably to gather his composure again. :D :D (Toronto Police seem to be doing a lot more of these "on-the-road warnings" to drivers these days instead of ticketing, but that's just my observation.) That's one way of getting him to bike a little more safely.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

hwybear wrote:We all see people that have a connection with something which mispresents the profession, hobby etc.. but everyone else gets painted with the same brush.

What I observed today. (while OFD)

Driving on the street (major city road = 4 lanes). See a cyclist (bicycle) with the helmet, shirt, shorts, water bottle. Was thinking that it is awesome for someone to be out biking. I move to the left lane to give lots of room and go by and return to the right hand lane and come to a stop light another 30 seconds later. This cyclist does not remain in line of traffic (7-8 vehicles) but slides up past all the cars again :evil: . The light turns and traffic moves, of course having to re-adjust and change lanes again to avoid the cyclist. Reach another stop light at a t-intersection, so the thru road I am on is red. Here comes cyclist dude again, passes all the cars again, but then swerves into a driveway, down the sidewalk to avoid the light, another driveway and back in front of all the cars again. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Reminding myself not to "paint" all cyclists with the same brush for this moron today.

Hmmm... I never seem to have that problem ;)

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Oh man, those Toronto cyclists must have been Toronto car drivers before they ended up on 2 wheels...

Seriously though, I've had a bus cut me off from the left when I was in the bike lane, to drop off some passengers. At night. With my rear light on. With my buddy behind me, also with the light on. I let that moron have an earful about my opinion on his driving when that happened.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”