Is The U-turn Legit? For Some Reason I Get Honked At Here Trying To Perform This U-turn In Kitchener.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

denish

Posting Awards

Is The U-turn Legit? For Some Reason I Get Honked At Here Trying To Perform This U-turn In Kitchener.

by: denish on

I want to make a U-Turn here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.444155,- ... 6656?hl=en

My understanding of the law is that I can make a U-Turn if:

- The is no no-U-Turn sign

- There is nothing blocking or obstructing the visibility or a hill

But often when I make a U-Turn here people behind me start honking. There is a median here and I just wish to do a U-Turn around the median. My belief as to why they honk is due to the 'Keep to the right of the traffic island' Sign. They may think that that means I must go straight and that a U-Turn would be forbidden. The only other possibility is I read that to do a U-Turn, you must pull off to the right and then do the U-Turn when it is clear to do so. This street is a single lane with no shoulder to pull off onto. So in doing a U-Turn, I am holding up traffic, until I can perform the turn.

Please help - according to the Ontario Traffic Act - is doing a U-Turn here legitimate?

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Here's what the Highway Traffic Act states:

U-turns prohibited

143 No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143.

It looks like you meet the 150-metre requirement. It's quite possible that the people behind you just don't want to have to wait for you to complete you U-turn.

Post a Reply