Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

I received 4 tickets!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 am 

I was stopped the day after my birthday for invalid plate sticker. He asked for my documentation, all of which was at home as we were in the midst of transferring the vehicle to my daughter. I had no intention of getting a valid sticker for this reason, but I didn't tell him that. He gave me 4 tickets for 1) not showing licence 2) not showing ownership 3) not showing insurance 4) not showing valid sticker. He was very nice and added that he was giving me 72 hours to come show the documents at the police station. Well, call me stupid, I didn't have any insurance. So I took the ownership and my licence in and those tickets were cancelled. I have paid the $65 fine for not showing insurance and will probably just pay the other one as well, it's for $110. My question or concern is.... Can they issue a court summons for not having insurance? I'm so stressed and anxious about this! When I went to the police station the officer told me to expect a court summons, I am wondering if that is true or what is going to happen to me.

Part of me would like to believe that I was issued a ticket- and all I need to do is pay it.

Thank you in advance for any help I get here.

Re: I received 4 tickets!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:09 am 

You can still be issued a summons for not having insurance. Any time up to six months after the offence. There's not really much you can do until you actually receive the summons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am 
High Authority

Actually, since the charge falls under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, the officer has up to three years to lay the charge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 pm 

Ok, so I will expect a summons.
So what happens when I am charged the $3500. or whatever amount it is.... and I cannot pay. I live on a disability benefit and that's what got me into this mess - lack of funds, therefore no insurance.

I live in Peterborough. Will I have to do jail time in lieu of payment or ? Where will I go for jail time? As you can tell I know nothing about these things so any information will be appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:56 pm 
High Authority

There is no jail time associated directly with the offence. If you're charged and convicted, you'll be looking at a $5,000 fine. If you fail to pay the fine your licence will be suspended. If you continued to drive once you're suspended, you could then face jail time for driving under suspension.

Insurance is expensive, but the Courts will not consider that a valid reason to drive without it. My best advice is to stop driving until you get insurance, not only for liability reasons, but because the Courts will have no sympathy if you're caught a second time. Also keep in mind that it's not uncommon for police to setup on unlicenced/uninsured drivers to try and catch them driving and you're now on their radar.