Summons to appear ?

Jay
Summons to appear ?

Unread post by Jay on

I received a "summons to appear" for the offence of Careless Driving. The officer wrote me a "pink" ticket, not a yellow one, and signed off on the fine and demerit points as being zero (i.e. no points, no fines, as he told me) As well, he filled in a court date, less than a month away from today. What does all this mean? I've tried to search the message board topics for some info on "Summons", but I come up empty. To me, it seems like it is a set trial date. I am confused on what I should be doing. Should I be preparing for a trial or am I going to set a trial date?

In my circumstance, no accidents occurred. I haven't the foggiest idea what I did wrong. Should I request disclosure before this court date? But I doubt that I will receive the information before then.

Thanks for the help. This site is an invaluable information tool.

Jay
Unread post by Jay on

Is my situation something new that no one has experienced before? I am thinking that I have to go before the JP to explain my situation and then I'll be convicted. Do I not have a right to a fair trial? I'm in the process of requesting disclosure but the prosecutor's office fax machine just keeps ringing and ringing - it does not pick up. Another tactic on their part?

I'm just frustrated at the whole thing ....

beleafer81
Unread post by beleafer81 on

It makes no sence to me. CAreless is a heavy charge. zero dollars as a fine and zero points does not add up. Are you sure YOU have been charged? or do they think you were a witness to the charge? I have recieved a summons as registered mail to apear as a witness.

hwybear

Unread post by hwybear on

What the "pink" summons does it "order" you to court on the specific date. On that date you will still have the normal 3 options(guilty, guilty with explanation or trial).

The zero fine listed is b/c the officer used the Provincial Offence Notice Summons, which is a "pink" summons in a normal "ticket book". There is a spot for a fine, but since it is a summons there is no roadside fine, so a zero was entered.

No ticket or summons will indicate demerit points as that is all done by the MTO. Court systems/procedures have nothing to do with demerit points.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca

Return to “Careless Driving”