Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Summons for driving uninsured vehicle, don't know what to do
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 am 

My spouse and I are currently unemployed and looking for work. Employment has been highly unstable for the past while, and we have been driving without insurance. Yes, I know that's our own fault, shame on us, etc. -- I'm not wanting to start a debate about that. For what it's worth, we're in an area with limited public transportation.

Today while out to get some groceries, I was pulled over for a tail-light being out, and I have been given a summons to appear in court for driving without insurance.

I've been told there's a $5,000 fine associated with this, which of course is throwing fuel on the fire... we are in debt and there's no way we can afford to pay that kind of money. Frankly, I'm terrified and have no idea what to do.

If it matters, the car and summons are in my spouse's name (not mine), who was at home at the time. The officer delivered the summons at home before I had returned.

I have submitted the information to X-Copper and am awaiting a response. What should I do?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm 

The summons is in your wife's name because she is the owner. The biggest fine you could get is $65. Your wife however can be charged with permit operation of a motor vehicle on a highway with no insurance. This is an expensive fine and you should seek representation for a number of reasons that I won't go into here.

The first thing you should do is get insurance though.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Unknowiingly driving uninsured

daveEboy

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 pm

viper1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Summons Issued to Owner of vehicle, NOT Driver....wtf???

LAWguy

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help - Careless Driving Ticket - I don't know what to do!

NgK

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:50 pm

argyll View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving 80 km/hr in 60 zone, Don Mills and Eglinton

ramessazeem

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 pm

iFly55 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Summons for Careless Driving!! Please Help!!

zoom91

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving summons

blitzkreig

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:09 pm

TheForce View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. If you get a Summons for Driving While Under Suspension

ancientlyre

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm

ancientlyre View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Summons for careless driving Help!!

Bf_92

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:24 am

jsherk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Summons to appear in court for Careless Driving

Nowisthetime

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Nowisthetime View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Given Summons for stunt driving and speeding 101 in 50

smiley1213

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 pm

jayjonbeach View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. minor driving without license received a summons

ahmahndoode

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am

ahmahndoode View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Brief questions about next steps for stunt-driving summons

JasonS

Wed May 29, 2013 6:39 am

hwybear View the latest post