Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Read End Collision- Careless Driving- First Accident
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:18 am 

Hello everyone,

I just got into my first accident and was charged with careless driving. I would really appreciate any input on the next steps. Here are the details:

On October 6th, 2014 at approx. 9:30am, I was driving to school going south on McLaughlin Road. When approaching the Bristol intersection, the light turned yellow and the driver ahead of began to speed as did I because I wanted to make the light. Not knowing the driver in front of would quickly change his mind and slam his brakes, my car was unable to stop in time when I braked (due to breaks being worn) and I rear ended him.

There were no injuries however I did total my 99 Pontiac sunfire in the incident and I did manage to completely take off the other driver's rear bumper. When the police officer showed up to do the accident report, I told him the breaks of my car were slightly worn and not knowing I was going to implicate myself he charged with careless driving for this reason, as he said. Note I do have a clean driving record before this except for a speeding ticket over 10km which I got 2 months ago.

Now I'm wondering what should I do next in terms of fighting it? I'm thinking of hiring a paralegal however I heard that if the cop does not show up to the court date the charge will automatically be dropped. Being a student, $600 is quite much for me at the moment to pay.

However, if I go and the cop does show, what will happen then? Will they still offer a plea? Can I then ask for an adjournment and then proceed to hire a paralegal to fight the ticket? If they do offer a lesser charger, should I take it should I still hire a paralegal and try to get it dropped completely?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Re: Read End Collision- Careless Driving- First Accident
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:43 pm 
High Authority

Trying to run a traffic light in a car with bad brakes certainly meets the definition of careless. Request a first attendance meeting and see if the Crown is willing to offer a plea deal to a lesser offence. If they do, take it.

Re: Read End Collision- Careless Driving- First Accident
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 pm 

I agree.

Cheers
Cindan