Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

G1 Driver - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:22 pm 

Hello,

Looking for some advice. My wife, myself and our two kids were driving home on Friday the 6th of April. My wife just got her learners about a month or two ago.

We were doing about 10 under the limit which was eighty km. It was a sunny day with the sun to our left. She overcompensated when trying to avoid the gravel edge of the road. She went into a skid and overcompensated again and froze. Before we knew it she went into the ditch and thru an old farm fence.

There was significant damage to the car and the fence was split (old metal fence with barbed wire top).

We were under shock and the kids were freaking out, so we drove home. When I got home I called my insurance and they told me that I didn't have to report the incident. (Turns out they were wrong)

I go another call from the insurance company on Monday, and they informed me that I had to report the incident.

After three hours of waiting in total at two different police stations, they gave my wife a 'careless' driving ticket. His reasoning is that because he was called he HAD to give her a ticket. The ticket has the wrong date and location but I have been informed by paralegal that it can be amended in court.

I know that fighting it will reduce the demerit points/money, but is that my only option? I hate to see my wife lose her G1 because she was actually trying to learn how to drive.

Re: G1 Driver - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am 
High Authority

Asphenaz wrote:
I know that fighting it will reduce the demerit points/money, but is that my only option? I hate to see my wife lose her G1 because she was actually trying to learn how to drive.

Fighting it (going to trial) will not reduce demerit points unless you're actually found not guilty. I'd try to work a plea deal with the Crown to a less serious offence, such as 'Change Lane not in Safety', which is a $110 fine and 3 demerit points, so your wife could keep her licence.