Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Charged with careless g2 driver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 pm 

I was charged with careless driving last week on my way to work. It was approx 7:30 am and very foggy that morning. It was a 2 lane road (4altogether) without a shoulder and when I went to change lanes there was a vehicle broken down in the 2nd live lane of traffic. I tried to brake but couldn't stop in time and rear ended the other driver. Both vehicles were written off. Is there any hope? I'm meeting with the prosecutor in a few weeks. Thanks guys.

Re: Charged with careless g2 driver
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am 

You may want to look at some case law on careless at http://www.canlii.org/en/ to give you a better idea of what is happening when trials occur for careless.

My understanding is that when you meet with the prosecutor you will likely be offered a plea bargain. As a G2 driver, any conviction, including agreed to pleas, resulting in 4 or more demerits, means your licenses is suspended for 30 days under the escultating sanctions rules (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .8.1.shtml). Keep in mind insurance companies usually ask about convictions, accidents and suspensions.

To defend against the charge in court you may want to think about seeking legal assistance, as the details matter. It is not enough to say that you hit a car and thus you are guilty of careless driving, and it is not enough to say, it was foggy with low light conditions, I didn't see the car and thus I am not guilty.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Should this driver be charged with Careless Driving?

lesbigoudis

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 pm

viper1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. young driver in accident charged with careless

helpmydaughter

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 pm

helpmydaughter View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Other driver charged...or was he??

StrawberryFields

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:02 pm

StrawberryFields View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 25 years old, charged with young driver BAC Above zero

Ronaldo

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:44 am

ynotp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. L.L.A Having open Liquor in Motor Vehicle driver charged

John Bosley

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Mugwug View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driver charged with Stunt driving for third time in 10 month

lfr101

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Zatota View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Teen driver ARESSTED and charged with Stunt Driving

Mumof4

Mon May 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Nanuk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driver charged $240 ticket for 'unsecured load' of snow

Whenaxis

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Zatota View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Charged with Careless

Solan

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Solan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Charged for Careless Driving.. (REALLY?)

alencon

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Charged with Careless Driving - Please help!

dizzybomb

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 pm

dizzybomb View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. If Charged with Careless while in Accident, how to fight it?

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

admin

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:22 pm

BelSlySTi View the latest post