Bicycle - Can I Reverse This Ticket?

Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
smp

Bicycle - Can I Reverse This Ticket?

Unread post by smp »

So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

What is bicycle insurance

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
diehard

Unread post by diehard »

smp wrote:So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

Was it a red light camera ticket?

If you plead guilty then you're getting a conviction, even with 0 demerit points and paying a reduced fine.

If your insurance company checks MTO records during policy renewal and sees that conviction, then they may increase your rates.

smp

Unread post by smp »

diehard wrote:
smp wrote:So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

Was it a red light camera ticket?

If you plead guilty then you're getting a conviction, even with 0 demerit points and paying a reduced fine.

If your insurance company checks MTO records during policy renewal and sees that conviction, then they may increase your rates.

Not a red light ticket.

Yes, this is what happened, they increased by more than two-fold! I have an otherwise clean record and I am 32.

diehard

Unread post by diehard »

smp wrote:er, correction: not a red light CAMERA ticket

Yeah, in that case you got a conviction and your insurance company found out.

Now you'll have to wait three years.

Do some shopping upon policy renewal.

Johnson Inc. has very good rates, call them.

OPS Copper

Unread post by OPS Copper »

Ok one last time. The Police and Courts have no control how a private business will react to a conviction. The private business being the insurance company.

GS