A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

beleafer81

Left On Red?

by: beleafer81 on

Hey everybody. I have a question. There is a street nearby that is a one way street going west. It intersects with a one way street going south. This intersection has traffic lights. When the light is red many people will turn left on red just like you would right on red. While waiting for the green light I have even seen a police car do it. Is it legal? It follows the basic principals of right on red but reversed or mirrored (if that makes sence).

Is there anything in the HTA about this?

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

I've seen a Peel Police car go down an unlit street, at night, without the headlights on. Just because you see a police car do something, doesn't mean you won't get ticketed for following suit. As far as I know turning left on red, even under those circumstances would be illegal, but I could be wrong in this one.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Provided it is from a one-way street on to a one-way street, you can turn left on a red. Section 144 (19) of the HTA:

Exception – turn

(19) Despite subsection (18 ) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,

(a) turn to the right; or

(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,

without a green indication being shown.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

Thanks guys.

Firestart: I just mentioned what I saw including observing the police make the turn. Just saying.

RI: thanks for the direct quote. What section did that come from? Exceptions to red light?

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

Thanks for the update RI.

b81: Just wanted to give you an all-encompassing warning as you'd be surprised at how many people who get ticketed say "but I've seen a police cruiser do it."

RI already mentioned that it's Section 144 of the Highway Traffic Act.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Post a Reply