Parking Vehicle Facing Wrong Direction?

Mujaman

Parking Vehicle Facing Wrong Direction?

Unread post by Mujaman »

Hello!

After a night of eventful drinking (and appropriate amount of sleep to sober up) it came to my dismay to see a parking ticket on my vehicle. Here are the details:

Infraction: Parking Vehicle Facing Wrong Direction

Contrary to the City of Mississauga By-Law 555-00 Section 5(1)(A)

At: OPP3615 KARIYA DR

Here is the portion of the 555-00 City of Mississauga By-Law:

"5. (1) No person shall stop, park or stand a vehicle on the untraveled portion of a

highway or any portion thereof except,

(a) where there is no raised curb or a rolled curb, he stands, stops or

parks the vehicle on the right side of the highway, having reference

to the direction in which the vehicle has been lawfully traveling and

so that the left side of the vehicle is parallel to the edge of the

roadway;"

There is no definition of what a curb is in this By-Law, but there were raised curbs on both sides of the road, and there were 3 sections of curbs at the dead end similar to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NCPar ... es2005.JPG

The picture at the end of this is exactly where the parking ticket was given. The construction area is now a dead end, and there are the 3 curb blocks previously mentioned lined up at the end. Two other vehicles were parked in the center and top right spots, and the top left spot was open. I parked into the top-left spot.

Unlike the by-law section referenced... There IS a raised curb for me to park at. Although I did park into the top-left spot in a forward manner (facing the opposite direction of traffic)... Is this not FUBAR because it is at a dead-end?

There is a curb, yet the By-Law refers to there not being a curb. In short... is there a way I can dispute or much preferably settle this without having to waste gas to drive to Mississauga and settle this as a dispute in person? I would cost me about $8 in gasoline (assuming only one trip) just to save myself from a $20-25 ticket.

Here is the link to the picture of the parking area. The parking spots are at the top where the construction zone begins (or now, its a dead end):

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kariya+gat ... rce=embed&
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Mujaman wrote: In short... is there a way I can dispute or much preferably settle this without having to waste gas to drive to Mississauga and settle this as a dispute in person? I would cost me about $8 in gasoline (assuming only one trip) just to save myself from a $20-25 ticket.

Unfortunately to dispute the charge you would have to attend Court at least once, and that could be a whole day affair. Some jurisdictions also require you attend the Court in person to request a trial. Unless it's the principle of the matter, you're probably better off just paying the fine and moving on. It's probably the cheaper route and it will also save you time and aggravation.

Fighting tickets imho isn't worth it unless the fine is large or there's insurance/licence implications.