Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 pm 

coulda been one of those "Rainbow police" TTC Special Constables :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:45 am 

Off_Camber wrote:
coulda been one of those "Rainbow police" TTC Special Constables :lol: :lol:

Rail Cop??????????? No uniform, no lights...... I'm not stopping :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:14 am 

As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.

I would challenge any charge given to me for not pulling over in this situation.

I am not talking about those ghost-marked police cars, either, as they are still identifiable.

I recall being told that this is the protocol to use if someone trying to pull me over is not obviously identifiable as someone with the authority to do so. My concern for my life trumps the "what if" every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:39 pm 

Marquisse wrote:
As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.

I would challenge any charge given to me for not pulling over in this situation.

I am not talking about those ghost-marked police cars, either, as they are still identifiable.

I recall being told that this is the protocol to use if someone trying to pull me over is not obviously identifiable as someone with the authority to do so. My concern for my life trumps the "what if" every time.

Actually, that is what is recommended. Bear can give details.......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:45 pm 

Marquisse wrote:

That's just common sense. Taking that approach, I can't see how you could be faulted at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 pm 

Reflections wrote:
Marquisse wrote:

Actually, that is what is recommended. Bear can give details.......

Coles notes version: if not a full marked cruiser can always use 911 and call in your location.....a legit officer should have already "checked" the plate prior to stop, therefore when a person calls in a call taker can query your plate and say yes, your plate was just queried 1 min ago and therefore the person is legit.......in the meantime put on your 4 ways to notify the officer you acknowledge your presence.......... crucial = know your plate!!!

Last edited by hwybear on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 am 

I didn't know about putting the hazards on, I know my plate very well, in phonetic code as well. I'd better after all these years with it.

Once again, thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm 

Well maybe everyone should be issued free cellphones to ensure that we are placed in a dubious situation. Not everyone has a cellphone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:28 am 

hwybear wrote:
CoolChick wrote:
.....also remember you have the right to ask a peace officer (on duty or not) for 3 pieces of identification to verify his claim of who he says he is... If he cant provide ....ignore him.

Now that part is BS....there is not 3 pieces of ID. There is only 1 piece of ID that would identify an officer.

There are cases (assault police) that have gone thru criminal courts that a peace officer "readily identifiable" (full uniform) is already identified as a peace officer.

Well a badge would be one piece of ID.... and there is bound to be a photo ID..and of course a police officer would have a printed card with his name on it wouldnt he? A uniform is not a guarantee of authenticity...... I'm sure anyone could create a uniform that would pass as an authentic one... so I for one would be asking for photo ID and a badge and a card. Thats only fair isn't it...after all we are expected to have at least two pieces before even getting a cellphone account or cable !!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:48 am 
Site Admin

CoolChick wrote:
I'm sure anyone could create a uniform that would pass as an authentic one...

Was the car un-marked?

What if a police cruiser pulled you over?

Would you still deny his uniform as an authentic piece of ID? Isn't the Cruiser itself a piece of ID?

I do understand the doubt. It can become confusing for un-marked cruisers.

You can ask them for a Warrant Card, which they must provide to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:58 am 

Cruiser could have been stolen, could it not ? I personally do not view a police officer as a superior being to myself...so I would be as discerning with one as I would with any other human being.

We are not obliged to give any info to an officer uniformed or otherwise unless we are operating a registered vehicle.....or engaged in a crime that breaches our common laws.. So because we are talking about being pulled over in a registered vehicle... I would still expect the officer to provide ID... infact I think they should be doing that before asking anyone for ID.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:29 am 
Site Admin

CoolChick wrote:
Cruiser could have been stolen, could it not ?

Highly doubt that.

CoolChick wrote:
We are not obliged to give any info to an officer uniformed or otherwise unless we are operating a registered vehicle.....or engaged in a crime that breaches our common laws..

Technically, you can be pulled over to see if your paper work is in order.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 am 

If one does not have a cellphone, can always leave their hazards on, slow down and drive to the closest gas station. Gas stations and variety stores all have video, should the person be an imposter at least it is on camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:28 am 

admin wrote:

I have heard of cases where the officer says " I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast" or similar and the JP tosses the case. Why officers don't just say they were checking documents is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:40 am 

Reflections wrote:
admin wrote:

I have heard of cases where the officer says " I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast" or similar and the JP tosses the case. Why officers don't just say they were checking documents is beyond me.

"I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast and I wanted to make sure you didn't have a blown signal bulb" would be sufficient, no? Few extra words = happy JP?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next