plaincloths officer stopped me for not checking

Moderators: Reflections, admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

Off_Camber
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 66
Joined:

Unread post by Off_Camber on

coulda been one of those "Rainbow police" TTC Special Constables :lol: :lol:


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

Off_Camber wrote:coulda been one of those "Rainbow police" TTC Special Constables :lol: :lol:
Rail Cop??????????? No uniform, no lights...... I'm not stopping :twisted:
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


Marquisse
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined:

Unread post by Marquisse on

As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.

I would challenge any charge given to me for not pulling over in this situation.

I am not talking about those ghost-marked police cars, either, as they are still identifiable.

I recall being told that this is the protocol to use if someone trying to pull me over is not obviously identifiable as someone with the authority to do so. My concern for my life trumps the "what if" every time.


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

Marquisse wrote:As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.

I would challenge any charge given to me for not pulling over in this situation.

I am not talking about those ghost-marked police cars, either, as they are still identifiable.

I recall being told that this is the protocol to use if someone trying to pull me over is not obviously identifiable as someone with the authority to do so. My concern for my life trumps the "what if" every time.
Actually, that is what is recommended. Bear can give details.......
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined:
Location: Toronto

Moderator

Unread post by Radar Identified on

Marquisse wrote:As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.
That's just common sense. Taking that approach, I can't see how you could be faulted at all.


User avatar
hwybear
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined:
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!

Moderator

Unread post by hwybear on

Reflections wrote:
Marquisse wrote:As a female, this concerns me. I would not stop for an unmarked (as in Jeep, for instance) plainclothed *individual* attempting to pull me over. I would use a cellphone to call 911 or go to the nearest populated area or police station for my own safety. If I cannot readily identify that the person attempting to pull me over is a police officer, I am NOT pulling over until I am in a safety zone where his or her identity can be confirmed.

I would challenge any charge given to me for not pulling over in this situation.

I am not talking about those ghost-marked police cars, either, as they are still identifiable.

I recall being told that this is the protocol to use if someone trying to pull me over is not obviously identifiable as someone with the authority to do so. My concern for my life trumps the "what if" every time.
Actually, that is what is recommended. Bear can give details.......
Coles notes version: if not a full marked cruiser can always use 911 and call in your location.....a legit officer should have already "checked" the plate prior to stop, therefore when a person calls in a call taker can query your plate and say yes, your plate was just queried 1 min ago and therefore the person is legit.......in the meantime put on your 4 ways to notify the officer you acknowledge your presence.......... crucial = know your plate!!!
Last edited by hwybear on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Marquisse
Member
Member
Posts: 139
Joined:

Unread post by Marquisse on

I didn't know about putting the hazards on, I know my plate very well, in phonetic code as well. I'd better after all these years with it.

Once again, thanks everyone.


CoolChick
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined:

Unread post by CoolChick on

Well maybe everyone should be issued free cellphones to ensure that we are placed in a dubious situation. Not everyone has a cellphone.


CoolChick
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined:

Unread post by CoolChick on

hwybear wrote:
CoolChick wrote:.....also remember you have the right to ask a peace officer (on duty or not) for 3 pieces of identification to verify his claim of who he says he is... If he cant provide ....ignore him.
Now that part is BS....there is not 3 pieces of ID. There is only 1 piece of ID that would identify an officer.

There are cases (assault police) that have gone thru criminal courts that a peace officer "readily identifiable" (full uniform) is already identified as a peace officer.
Well a badge would be one piece of ID.... and there is bound to be a photo ID..and of course a police officer would have a printed card with his name on it wouldnt he? A uniform is not a guarantee of authenticity...... I'm sure anyone could create a uniform that would pass as an authentic one... so I for one would be asking for photo ID and a badge and a card. Thats only fair isn't it...after all we are expected to have at least two pieces before even getting a cellphone account or cable !!!


User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1072
Joined:
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Posting Awards

Moderator

Unread post by admin on

CoolChick wrote: I'm sure anyone could create a uniform that would pass as an authentic one...
Was the car un-marked?

What if a police cruiser pulled you over?

Would you still deny his uniform as an authentic piece of ID? Isn't the Cruiser itself a piece of ID?

I do understand the doubt. It can become confusing for un-marked cruisers.

You can ask them for a Warrant Card, which they must provide to you.


CoolChick
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined:

Unread post by CoolChick on

Cruiser could have been stolen, could it not ? I personally do not view a police officer as a superior being to myself...so I would be as discerning with one as I would with any other human being.

We are not obliged to give any info to an officer uniformed or otherwise unless we are operating a registered vehicle.....or engaged in a crime that breaches our common laws.. So because we are talking about being pulled over in a registered vehicle... I would still expect the officer to provide ID... infact I think they should be doing that before asking anyone for ID.


User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1072
Joined:
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Posting Awards

Moderator

Unread post by admin on

CoolChick wrote:Cruiser could have been stolen, could it not ?
Highly doubt that.
CoolChick wrote: We are not obliged to give any info to an officer uniformed or otherwise unless we are operating a registered vehicle.....or engaged in a crime that breaches our common laws..
Technically, you can be pulled over to see if your paper work is in order.


User avatar
hwybear
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined:
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!

Moderator

Unread post by hwybear on

If one does not have a cellphone, can always leave their hazards on, slow down and drive to the closest gas station. Gas stations and variety stores all have video, should the person be an imposter at least it is on camera.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

admin wrote:Technically, you can be pulled over to see if your paper work is in order.
I have heard of cases where the officer says " I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast" or similar and the JP tosses the case. Why officers don't just say they were checking documents is beyond me.
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


User avatar
Squishy
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 709
Joined:
Location: Orillia
Contact:

Unread post by Squishy on

Reflections wrote:
admin wrote:Technically, you can be pulled over to see if your paper work is in order.
I have heard of cases where the officer says " I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast" or similar and the JP tosses the case. Why officers don't just say they were checking documents is beyond me.
"I pulled you over because your signal was flashing too fast and I wanted to make sure you didn't have a blown signal bulb" would be sufficient, no? Few extra words = happy JP?




         Image


Locked

Return to “General Talk”