A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Jenne

Parking In Fire Route... Apparently

by: Jenne on

My boyfriend got a ticket for parking in a fire route...apparently. The reason I say that is becuase there were no signs on the side of the road he parked on that read "Fire Route", or any other sign for that matter.

As far as I know, the route is the side of the street the sign is on. I srtated reading the HTA, but couldnt find the info.

Can anyone help?

viper1

by: viper1 on

Jenne wrote:My boyfriend got a ticket for parking in a fire route...apparently. The reason I say that is becuase there were no signs on the side of the road he parked on that read "Fire Route", or any other sign for that matter.

As far as I know, the route is the side of the street the sign is on. I srtated reading the HTA, but couldnt find the info.

Can anyone help?

Each city is different.

Can you narrow it down a bit?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Squishy

by: Squishy on

For the most part, a "fire route" applies to the entire roadway. However, each city maintains it's own fire route bylaw, and some require signs on both sides under certain conditions.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Think you're right, Squishy & viper1. Fire route is governed by municipal by-law. As viper1 was mentioning... which city did this occur in?

Jenne: Take some photographs of the area with a time-date stamp on it showing that there are no signs indicating that it was a fire route. Be forewarned, though, that whoever takes the photograph will be required to attend court, if it goes that far.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote:Take some photographs of the area with a time-date stamp on it showing that there are no signs indicating that it was a fire route. .

A good prosecutor would be able to make those photos null void too.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

The photos are one piece of the puzzle. If the by-law requires the sign to be present, it might cause the Prosecutor to withdraw the charge if presented with photographs. All depends on municipality.

Jenne

It was in Richmond Hill... on private property.

The other thing is that its a construction project my BF is working on. He has a set of blue prints which indicate that he was not in the fire route. He also took pictures yesterday as well.

My friend lives on a street in Woodbridge that has "fire route" signs on one side of the street. Each time I go over for a visit, I must park on the street. There are always other cars parked there.

I sent an email to City of Vaughan, and the YRP, and I asked: "If there is a fire route sign on one side of the street, does that mean you cannot park on that particular side, or that you cannot park on that street at all?"

Im hoping that Ill get the answer Im looking for and that it cvan be used when my BF goes to see the faciliator.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

As far as I know, Richmond Hill is a separate municipality and what applies in Vaughn would be irrelevant in Richmond Hill.

Try contacting the by-law department of the Town of Richmond Hill.

Telephone: (905) 771-0198

Fax: (905) 771-2508

E-mail: bylaw@richmondhill.ca

Also, here is Richmond Hill's fire route bylaw:

http://code.municipalworld.com/richmondhill/1090.pdf

I would ask for clarification of Section 1090.2.7, which states that "Fire Route signs as described in Schedule 'A' shall be placed at each limit of a prohibited or restricted area, and they shall display single-headed arrows pointing in the direction in which the regulation is in effect." [emphasis mine]

I'm not sure if this means that signs need to be placed at both sides of the roadway, because the bylaw defines the fire route as the entire private roadway. Technically, the sides of the roadway are limits, but the section could be referring to limits as they run parallel to the roadway.

Jenne

I am aware that bylaws are different in each town / city.

I did call the Town of RH for some info. I spoke with an Enforcement officer adn asked for an email address. I would rather have theri reply on paper and that can be used during the appointment with the faciliator.

Once I have all the reponses from the different towns / cities, I plan to forward them to the Ontario Gov. Its really silly that this particular law (ane possibly many more) differ from city to city. There should be certain laws that cannot change. This way no one gets confused. Its kinda like disabled parking. Everyone knows you cant park there unless you have a permit, and you cant fight it if you do park there and get a ticket. That law is the same no matter where you are in Ontario.

Post a Reply