Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Late seventies
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
Up until 78 I had just slow cars etc with no problem with speeding.

Then I got a 900 Kawasaki.

Back then if a cop tried to catch me I was out of his normal area if
he caught up to me.

Often it was in another city or town.(by then)

At that time if you objected to the charge it would be dropped.(needs mistake)
(had to be before they said anything)very important.

Does jurisdiction still come into play?

I am going within 6 months so I just want to sharpen up a bit.

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:50 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:57 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Planet X
Bear will know for certain, but I think if he's in pursuit he can continue the pursuit into another jurisdiction. Cops are cops throughout the Province. Even when off-duty they are still on-duty, really.

From 1979 to 1986 I had a Corvette. I used to trade vehicles with friends for fun. I learned to ride a bike on my buddy's 900 Kawasaki. Not a good idea, really. Those things go like snot. We were crusing to TO one time and he was following us on the bike. I was going wide open at 132 mph. He pulled up beside me than walked away. He had to be going 150 or more.

About the second time I was using his bike I went to the beach with it. I had no bike licence. A cop car was at the beach so I tried to turn around in the soft sand to get away, since I had no licence, and dumped the bike. I couldn't pick it up by myself, it was too heavy. The cop who was walking actually came over and helped me pick it up. I played dumb and lucky for me he never asked for my licence; because I didn't have a M licence. I thanked him and split. Burned my leg on the muffler when I dropped it, though.

Another story. We go to Cauaga(sp) to watch some drag racing. We drove all night wrecked out of our minds. My buddy on the Kawi was freezing so he jumped in with me and let the guy with me ride the bike. As soon as he gets on the bike he whips off like a bad our of hell. He was wasted too. Finally, miles up the road we catch up to him and he's at the side of the road...with a cop car. I'm freaking out thinking he got stopped for speeding and I knew he was loaded. The guy stopped when he saw the cop and started talking to him asking for directions. Ha! Crazy. I drove right by and wasn't stopping. Later he catches up to us and tells us the story that he stopped to ask the cop for directions.

On the day we're to come home, 5 cars of people all get in one motel room and get hammered for the trip home. The motel owner came into the room and freaks out. She kicks us out. We pack up all the booze and other stuff and hit the road. Five miles or so down the road 5 cop cars chase us all down. The motel owner called the cops on us. The cops pull all of us out of our cars. They pull all of the booze out of the cars and place it on the roof of each car. We're thinking we're screwed. But besides being a little impaired we were all legal, so the cops let us all go with no tickets. I get back in the Vette with my buddy and a rolled joint is sitting in th ashtrash. My buddy though I grabbed it before we exited the car and I thought he grabbed it so the cops wouldn't find it. The cop had to have seen it when he searched the car, but he never said a word. He left it there for us. Ha! The good old days when cops were human.

_________________
Without Justice there's JUST US


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:40 am 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:38 pm
Posts: 632
Location: Stratford, Ontario
(1980)
6 of us cruisin' the streets of Collingwood in my buddies hotrodded Dodge van. We stop at the beer store and each grab a case of beer. Each case gets ripped open and one beer removed and half consumed before being pulled over.

6 full cases of beer confiscated. All escorted in cruisers to the police station parking lot where one cop has personally delivered the van!...while driver inside getting breathalyzer. Driver soon emerges telling "new" driver to pull up to the back door of the police station. Officer appears and helps load 5 of the 6 open cases of beer back in our van with instructions to go straight to cottage, LOL. No charges laid.

We STILL chuckle every time we recite this story (when our kids aren't around, of course) ;)

Yes, it was a great time to be a teen, so long as you weren't one of those dumb s**t teens we would here about who felt the need to kill himself doing something nuts and ruin it for every one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
lawmen wrote:
Bear will know for certain, but I think if he's in pursuit he can continue the pursuit into another jurisdiction. Cops are cops throughout the Province. Even when off-duty they are still on-duty, really.


Exactly Lawmen.

A pursuit into a another jurisdiction is no problem, only is radio issue where the area that it enters is now in control of the pursuit. (IE...Toronto PS in pursuit and goes onto the 401, Toronto PS dispatch turns pursuit over to OPP dispatch, Toronto can still pursue thou. Radio is instantly set up so all can hear it (Toronto dispatch, Toronto cruisers, OPP dispatch, OPP cruisers))

Any person sworn in as a police officer has authority anywhere in the Province. Both on-duty and off-duty.

We all try to avoid the OFD stuff...it's our day off like everyone else and we don't want to put our families in danger.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:32 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
Bookm wrote:
(1980)
6 of us cruisin' the streets of Collingwood in my buddies hotrodded Dodge van. We stop at the beer store and each grab a case of beer. Each case gets ripped open and one beer removed and half consumed before being pulled over.

6 full cases of beer confiscated. All escorted in cruisers to the police station parking lot where one cop has personally delivered the van!...while driver inside getting breathalyzer. Driver soon emerges telling "new" driver to pull up to the back door of the police station. Officer appears and helps load 5 of the 6 open cases of beer back in our van with instructions to go straight to cottage, LOL. No charges laid.

We STILL chuckle every time we recite this story (when our kids aren't around, of course) ;)

Yes, it was a great time to be a teen, so long as you weren't one of those dumb s**t teens we would here about who felt the need to kill himself doing something nuts and ruin it for every one.




I just decided to let the Kawi go and did not look anywhere except in front.
I stopped for a yellow light and just after it turned green a cop with cherries showed up.
I pulled over to the next spot.

He came over and asked "do you have any idea how fast you were going"?
I said 30 mph
He said he was going over 120 and he was left far behind.
I said maybe 35 on my part.
He was a full light change behind so something might been wrong with his car????

Anyway he gave me an expensive ticket.

I looked later and.


It said I was doing this in the city of whitby.

I went to the court and objected before they could say anything.
(objection your honour there is no city of whitby near here"

It was just withdrawn.(back then)

I have seen people try this after charge is read and they just amend it.

My curiosity is if this is still the same? (it was 30 years ago for me)

The cop here started in a city and wrote the ticket in a town.
That is why he messed up.

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1490
Location: somewhere in traffic
hwybear wrote:
lawmen wrote:
Bear will know for certain, but I think if he's in pursuit he can continue the pursuit into another jurisdiction. Cops are cops throughout the Province. Even when off-duty they are still on-duty, really.


Exactly Lawmen.

A pursuit into a another jurisdiction is no problem, only is radio issue where the area that it enters is now in control of the pursuit. (IE...Toronto PS in pursuit and goes onto the 401, Toronto PS dispatch turns pursuit over to OPP dispatch, Toronto can still pursue thou. Radio is instantly set up so all can hear it (Toronto dispatch, Toronto cruisers, OPP dispatch, OPP cruisers))

Any person sworn in as a police officer has authority anywhere in the Province. Both on-duty and off-duty.

We all try to avoid the OFD stuff...it's our day off like everyone else and we don't want to put our families in danger.


It's just that you won't see a Toronto cop in Windsor.... They aren't paid by that town. I have wondered though if Peel police can pull you over on a 4-series, if the infraction was on the 4-series highway???? For example.

_________________
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
Reflections wrote:
. I have wondered though if Peel police can pull you over on a 4-series, if the infraction was on the 4-series highway????


Absolutely. Still police officers

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:08 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
citizens arrest is good anywhere.

I kinda started this thread to see if anyone else has used this method to deal with mistakes on tickets?

Stories are good too.


Have a great day

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1490
Location: somewhere in traffic
hwybear wrote:
Reflections wrote:
. I have wondered though if Peel police can pull you over on a 4-series, if the infraction was on the 4-series highway????


Absolutely. Still police officers


I do believe you would have to explain why you were out of your regular area to the JP.........

_________________
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:11 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
Reflections wrote:
hwybear wrote:
Reflections wrote:
. I have wondered though if Peel police can pull you over on a 4-series, if the infraction was on the 4-series highway????


Absolutely. Still police officers


I do believe you would have to explain why you were out of your regular area to the JP.........


Negative. JP does not care.

Might have explaining to your own boss if you wrote 90% of your tickets in another police area and not your own where you are supposed to be patrolling.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1490
Location: somewhere in traffic
Quote:
Might have explaining to your own boss if you wrote 90% of your tickets in another police area and not your own where you are supposed to be patrolling.


:D :D :D

That reminds me. I was on my way home one morning, used to get done at 4:00am. Cruize control on 125 or so, not sure due to the uncalibrated speedo 8) , and a Peel officer passed me on the 410. As he goes by he flashed his ambers, up on the bar. Not sure if that was thats for not sitting in the fast lane or "coulda had ya". The way it was explained to me was that there are loose juristictions and they are maintained except for serious violations.

_________________
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. $150 for being 6 mins late

parked

6

713

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 pm

bend View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. stay for late and incomplete disclosure

niros

4

619

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Simon Borys View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Late Disclosure and Trial Date, 34 over

redd24

11

618

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 am

jsherk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Need Advice: Trial in 15days..is it too late to request one?

jelly_belly

5

1083

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

bend View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. paid ticket 3 days late, will my license be suspended?

omgbbq

7

8902

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ticket mailed back one day late? Automatic conviction?

Raxenda

3

639

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:24 am

Raxenda View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Fined $500 for driving w/suspension. Am now late paying fine

dyot

6

372

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:51 am

dyot View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. "late filed by police officer" what else do I need to do?

cckwokchun

1

620

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Stanton View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.