A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

WPJ

Horns Can They Be Too Loud?

by: WPJ on

Hey there

I am going to adding an air horn to my personal bus once it arrives.

I wanted to know if there are any restrictions, as regarding horns which I need to be aware of.

Thanks

viper1

by: viper1 on

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

WPJ wrote:Hey there

I am going to adding an air horn to my personal bus once it arrives.

I wanted to know if there are any restrictions, as regarding horns which I need to be aware of.

Thanks

There's no meter or level in which these things are calculated. Much like exhausts, it's mostly at the officers discretion. Anything that sounds ridiculous compared to an average horn will get you a ticket.

That being said, if you are looking for a horn for "off road use" or for show purposes, it's quite easy to rig your horn up to its on switch separate of your factory horn. This way you can keep the functionality of your regular horn for street use.

Post a Reply