Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Failure to Stop - Intersection Error on ticket
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I was stopped today for failure to obey a stop sign. The ticket issued listed an incorrect intersection.

I have seen on this site that most people do not consider incorrect intersections to be a fatal error on the ticket, but the intersection specified is part-way across town and it doesn't even have stop signs -- it's a stop light intersection, so it's not even possible that I could have committed the offence at that location.

Does it have a good chance to be thrown out or will it probably be amended? If so, do I need to check off the box on the back of the ticket that says I intend to plead not guilty, or just the box that says I intend to challenge the Officer's evidence?

Thanks again.

Re: Failure to Stop - Intersection Error on ticket
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm 
High Authority

You're correct in that it's not a fatal error, but certainly works to your advantage if there's a trial. It's difficult to say what to do with the ticket. There are probably some prosecutors that if advised of the error would simply withdraw the charge, while others would amend the charge at trial. I'd ask for disclosure and see what the officer's notes say. If the notes are also incorrect, I'd think you have a very good chance of arguing reasonable doubt, even if the officer corrects himself on the stand.

Re: Failure to Stop - Intersection Error on ticket
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 pm 

The error on the ticket won't get it quashed in and of itself... but I agree with Stanton on the reasonable doubt angle.

You need to check both boxes - the one that says you are pleading not guilty, and the one that says you plan to challenge the officer's evidence.