shamusom

First Ticket: 32km Over. Help.

by: shamusom on

I was pulled over as I was passing someone and was "clocked" at 82 in 50 zone. It's my first ticket in over 15 years.

The cop did not reduce the speed infraction on the scene. It ended up being 4 points, and $192 fine. Should I get Pointts (or someone similar) to fight the ticket? Not sure what to do? Is it worth the cost? How can they fight it? Or should I just pay the fine and stick with the 4 points.

What is the benefit of having Pointts (or similar) fight it? Can anyone here speak from experience?

Thanks.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

You will definitely be offered something in between 16-29km and 3 demerit points. I don't know how willing they are to go down to 1-15km and 0 demerit points. It depends on the prosecutor, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't know how determined pointts or a similar organization is willing to fight your ticket. Usually they show up and take the reduced fine and call it a day. They tell you congratulations you won, and then you cough up several hundred dollars. You can do this quite easily yourself and there will be 30 others doing the same thing during your court date.

If you're looking to take your ticket all the way to trial, you'll need to start asking more questions here.

skf

by: skf on

Hi, my ticket shows the same speed (82 on 50 road) but more fines, I am not sure how they caculated my fine around $227? Can anybody advise?

I have court date next week.

Thanks very much!

EphOph

by: EphOph on

Fine amount is based on speed you are charged with (here).

$6.00 per km over = set fine of $192.

Victim surcharge (based on fine amount, here) of $35 plus $5 court cost (here) gives a total fine of $232.

The $192 quoted above was likely the set fine amount before the extra taxes were added on. If your total payable for 32 over is $227, it seems like the officer forgot to add the court cost.

skf

by: skf on

Sorry, I just checked my ticket again, it is $232, thanks.

I picked up disclosure but they only gave me the police office's notes nothing else, I am not sure how do I defend myself without other radar infor.

Post a Reply