Confused&Scared

4 Summons, 1 Suspension, Really Scared, Please Advise

by: Confused&Scared on

I am going to court tomorrow morning. My first ticket - ever - was for talking on my cell phone. Because we are poor, I didn't pay the ticket. I had NO IDEA this could happen. I'm a 36-yr old female. I've had my license for 3 years only. What happened to me was mainly my fault through ignorance. Court date is tomorrow and I am very scared. Here is what the police wrote me up for:

1. Failure to Notify Change of Address - which is why I didn't know I was suspended; I didn't change my address because I was ignorant and thought it would cost money when we didn't have any.

2. Driving Motor Vehicle No Current Validated Permit - my permit expired literally the day before (the 19th) and the 20th (day I was pulled over) was a Civic Holiday - and I thought I had until the end of the month because my sticker said May

3. Failure to Surrender Insurance Card - I do have insurance, but did not have the right card in the van. Oversight on my part

4. Driving while Suspended - I had NO IDEA and this goes back to my Failure to Notify Change of Address

What can I expect?

What would be considered a "good deal" that I should accept if they offer?

Should I try and plead my case OR adjourn to get Legal Counsel?

What should I do?? Obviously as the primary income earner with 2 kids under 5 years old I cannot afford to lose my license. This is very upsetting and truthfully I didn't realize until today just how serious it was.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

I'm going to assume since you decided nothing would happen if you didn't pay your ticket that you may be unaware of the consequences of driving while suspended.

- mandatory fine of $1000 up to $5000.

- mandatory 6 months added to your current suspension.

- the possibly of up to 6 months in jail.

There's a possibility your insurance company wont even insure you after your suspension is over.

Find someone to represent you. You shouldn't go alone on something that has jail time involved (although it would be unlikely you'll be considered for it). Pleading ignorance is not a defense, especially when you're driving with expired permits, wrong insurance, and haven't bothered to change your address on your license. You might be able to get one or two things dropped in a plea deal, but the driving while suspended is the one you want to worry about.

Confused&Scared

by: Confused&Scared on

I understand ignorance is not a defense. I can't change what happened but the day after I was pulled over (on a civic holiday) I paid everything to get my license back and had it back in 5 days. I am praying they will give me a plea of some kind but I don't know what a good agreement would be... Or if denying the plea and asking for time to gain legal advice would negate the plea offer. Right now I'd accept anything that didn't involve suspension. My plan is to see what they offer (if anything) and if they offer nothing to ask for time to obtain a lawyer.

Post a Reply