Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Careless for backing out of driveway & hitting parked car
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 pm 

I was recently charged for careless driving for hitting a parked car while reversing out of my driveway. The damage to the car was a dent. No damage was done to my car. i noticed the car and misjudged the distance. I told this to the police. he still charged me with careless driving. i have never had a charge in my entire life - my record is spotless. Not sure how to proceed.

should I choose early resolution and accept a plea if offered or proceed to trail since I feel that it will be very difficult to prove careless.

Any advice?

Thanks

Re: Careless for backing out of driveway & hitting parked ca
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:36 pm 

I'm not sure what the elements of the offence are for careless driving so I'll refrain from commenting on how easy or hard it'll be to prove such a case. Maybe some people in this forum could give better insight.

I'm amazed though how quickly cops have started giving out careless and stunt driving PONs on the tyniest thing that could be remotely characterized as such. Wonder what the agenda is? intimidating the public?

Re: Careless for backing out of driveway & hitting parked ca
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 pm 

it was a new officer in training with a senior officer over seeing it. One of the questions the new officer asked is what did you say when you hit the parked car. I said I don't recall maybe oh *EDIT*. and he said dont make things up. Really come on. i was not born yesterday like he was. Then he goes on to question my statement by asking if my foot came off the brake and hit the gas by mistake. Really buddy. I told you what happened. The senior officer then came in and said we are here to protect the public. Oh I am a danager to the public. Come on get some common sense these cocky *EDIT* dont stink newbies.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]