torontob

Parking Ticket In Montreal - No Signs Posted

by: torontob on

Hi everyone,

I know this is "Ontario" forum but I thought maybe someone else had the same experience or can weigh-in on this case.

I was in Montreal for the weekend and parked on a street where there were other cars parked and there were no signs of no-parking. I parked on Sunday evening and woke up Monday morning to a $52 ticket indicating, "Having parked a road vehicle in a space reserved for residents".

Checking Google maps right now and it doesn't have any pictures of the street as there was a new building being built. So, that building is built but there are no signs still. None of the cars had any permit or anything special either. The lot wasn't numbered either.

This is a fully computerized ticket which can be mailed to appeal but I can never travel to Montreal for $52. My questions are as follows:

1- If appealed how long usually does it take for court to call me? Maybe I can take a my gf there for a weekend and take care of this too?

2- Can I just ignore it being from Ontario and having Ontario plate? There is no name on the ticket and it's only car plate number. What are the consequences of not paying this ticket?

3- They are asking to submit my proof and so if it's rejected then they would call me to court. Are they just bullshitting or does this work if I send them my explanation of no signs?

4- There is this on the ticket but I didn't see no road sign: Road Sign/Meter No: SRRR SEC 14 9H A 3H. What is that?

Thanks for your feedback.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

$52 seems to be steep fine for a private parking infraction

i'd just ignore it, municipalities don't have access to out-of-province information; the QC ticket won't affect your ON plate renewal

i would wait and see if you get a letter of impending conviction in the mail

if you do park there in the future, and they have a log of your ON Plate, they may tow your vehicle

torontob

I thought that would be the case (QC not having jurisdiction in Toronto) - Wasn't there some news in the city hall (Toronto) about councillors wanting to gain access to out of province plates? That is so stupid....what would happen to people like me who just want to party for a night and wake up to a hefty ticket - not nice - Isn't there traffic lights positions bad enough in QC that they make us pay fines as well for streets with no Parking signs? :-)

Oh and Green P has something under my plate as well in Toronto. It's probably best to get a new plate when getting the new car :-) Don't want to be towed.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

I maybe wrong but I think Quebec still issues warrant for non payment of tickets. If you do not pay it and go back to Quebec you could be arrested.

We see a lot of drivers on Ottawa that are wanted in Quebec only for their infractions. They will not return from outside Quebec but will arrest if in Quebec

OPs

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

It is Quebec and their Civil Code. Crazy *EDIT* happens there.

I got my car towed one time and had to pay the driver 150 to tell me where it was taken. The moved it 3 blocks away. According to the Montreal Police this is how it is done. They have the most confusing parking regulations I have ever see written on signs.

OPS

torontob

So, this is pretty F***cked. I mean what if the ticket is lost before someone sees it? And then they have no way of reaching you because they can't get your name or address....this is bizarre....

Well, what about my other questions then. What if I appeal it. How long does it usually take to appear before the court and is it worth it? I may want to take a couples trip there again for fun and appearing for this.

Thanks

Post a Reply