A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

pgoldsmith123

Street Legal Headlamps

by: pgoldsmith123 on

I live in rural Ontario with lots of deer and moose and lots of dark roads. I was looking into putting extra driving lights or off road lights on my SUV to help me avoid a collision with these animals. What are the rules regarding street legal auxiliary lights? Can extra driving lights be mounted on the roof of the vehicle or do they have to be at the same level as the stock headlamps? How many auxiliary lights can be added? Is there a restriction of how bright they can be?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

HTA 62 sec 9

Strength of front lamps

No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela

HTA 62 sec 22

Spotlamps

No motor vehicle, other than a public utility emergency vehicle, shall be equipped with more than one spotlamp and every lighted spotlamp shall be so directed, upon approaching or upon the approach of another vehicle, that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam from the lamp will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side, nor more than thirty metres ahead, of the vehicle to which it is attached

And Transport Canada

Headlights no lower than 559mm (22inches) no higher than 1374mm (54inches)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
dirtydodge

by: dirtydodge on

so i drive a 97 ram with 4 mounted lights on my roof, you stated previously about "spot lamps" the lights i have are flood lamps, the four forward facing light law stated my stock headlights must be 2 of those 4, i got pulled over for improper use of spot lamp with 2 roof flood lamps lit yet the ticket states improper use of spot lamps, the section on the ticket is 62 (22), is this still accurate?

AlienPrime

by: AlienPrime on

Also...

ACT62:

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9)

in all reality.. you can argue all these if it's a secluded road outside the city...

"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain
Post a Reply