Kelley

Drive While Suspended

by: Kelley on

Last week I was pulled over and advised my license had been suspended due to an unpaid fine.

I had sent the cheque for the fine (failure to produce a valid pink slip – though the vehicle was insured, I just hadnt put the new pink slip in the car yet) at the end of June (during the Canada Post labour dispute) and didnt think another thing of it.

I was charged with drive while suspended (and for not having my new sticker on my truck… an oversight on my part – thought husband had done it – and totally my fault). Upon arriving home that night and checking the mailbox, I found the notice of suspension. My license had been suspended for less than a month and the letter had only just arrived in my mailbox.

Ive paid the fine, gotten my license reinstated and have a court date for November. I checked my bank records and see that the cheque never did come out of my account. In over 20 years of driving, the failure to produce the pink slip was only my 2nd ticket.

Im not sure what to do now. I cant afford to have my license suspended for 6 months as I live rurally and work in the city.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

On your first Court date, talk with the Crown about a plea deal. Explain the situation fully, be polite, and stress your clean driving record. There's a reasonable chance they'll let you plead down to the offence of drive motor vehicle, no licence (the charge you normally get for driving with an expired licence). It's a about a $300 fine, carries no demerit points and no additional suspension.

If the Crown is unwilling to offer a deal, legal representation would be recommended. As you've said, losing your licence is problematic, and the conviction would have a huge impact on your insurance rates.

Post a Reply