speedygonzales

First Ticket Ever...helpppp!!!

by: speedygonzales on

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum, and i'm not in the greatest situation...

I remember seeing a bright flash early in the morning a few weeks ago, and today i got a letter in the mail saying i ran a red light.

The problem is that i dont own the car, its my moms, and if she finds out i got the $325 dollar ticket il gonna get killed. I was lucky enough to have checked the mail today, and intercepte the ticket.

The problem is that i dont know what to do, i cant afford $325 on a full time student budget. I'm 18, and go to school.

Please help me out, i dont know what my options are at this point? do i suck it up and pay the fine, or fight it in court...

i have attached the ticket to let you all see if there is some loophole to help me out.

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag2 ... 087b45.gif

Regards,

Speedy Gonzalez

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

You might not like it, but youre going to have to tell your Mom. Even though youre at fault for the ticket, your Mom (the registered owner) is the one whos been charged. Even if you want to fight the ticket in Court, she needs to give you permission to do so.

Your best bet is to request an early resolution meeting with the Crown. Your mom will need to attend or youll need a letter from her authorizing you to represent her. The Crown will most likely offer you a reduced fine (possibly halved) in exchange for a guilty plea.

Theres not really much to fight red light tickets on otherwise.

speedygonzales

Stanton wrote:You might not like it, but youre going to have to tell your Mom. Even though youre at fault for the ticket, your Mom (the registered owner) is the one whos been charged. Even if you want to fight the ticket in Court, she needs to give you permission to do so.

Your best bet is to request an early resolution meeting with the Crown. Your mom will need to attend or youll need a letter from her authorizing you to represent her. The Crown will most likely offer you a reduced fine (possibly halved) in exchange for a guilty plea.

Theres not really much to fight red light tickets on otherwise.

will it affect my moms or my insurance or license?

Also, is it mandatory for her to give me a letter of authorization?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The ticket wont affect your mothers licence/insurance since shes being charged as the owner and not the driver. The only consequence would be if the ticket isnt paid, shell be unable to renew her licence and the fine could be sent to a collection agency.

Most likely you will require some type of authorization to represent her, since youre not the person who was charged.

speedygonzales

Stanton wrote:The ticket wont affect your mothers licence/insurance since shes being charged as the owner and not the driver. The only consequence would be if the ticket isnt paid, shell be unable to renew her licence and the fine could be sent to a collection agency.

Most likely you will require some type of authorization to represent her, since youre not the person who was charged.

so the biggest thing about this ticket is the huge fine amount..and no real consequences as far as insurance and drivers abstract goes...correct?

i think ill go to the court tomorrow and see what i need to do., but what option do i go for, 2?

OPTION 1 – Trial Option – DO NOT MAIL – I want to appear before a justice to enter a plea of not guilty and to have a trial.

OPTION 2 – Early Resolution – Meet with Prosecutor (by choosing this option you do not forego the right to a trial)

OPTION 3 – Plea of Guilty – Voluntary Payment of Total Payable: I plead guilty and payment of the total payable is enclosed.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

speedygonzales wrote:so the biggest thing about this ticket is the huge fine amount..and no real consequences as far as insurance and drivers abstract goes...correct?

They don't know who was driving the vehicle. Your average tickets when issued are issued against a license, hence why it'll show up on your abstract. Since they do not know (or care) who was driving, they issue the fine amount against the owner of the license plate. I'd assume that would be your mother. Next time your mother goes to renew her plates, she'll be in for a surprise if the fine hasn't been already paid. Insurance will not be a problem nor will this show up on any abstract.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

speedygonzales wrote:ahh, okay. does my ticket have any missing areas that will allow it to get dismissed?

Red light camera camera offenses are pretty standard. The technology calculates all the numbers and then someone looks it over to make sure the pictures show everything they need to show (you behind the line, red light, you passed the line, red light, license plate) and they sign off on it. Generally, when people find out it's just a fine with no insurance ramifications, they just bite the bullet. If you got some free spare time, you can attend the courthouse and see if you can get it reduced BUT the ticket isn't addressed to you so i'd suggest you stop right there.

You have no business dealing with this ticket as it's no concern to you. It wasn't addressed to you and you shouldn't attempt to represent someone who hasn't asked you to represent them. We've all been teens. If you want to intercept the mail and pay for the fine, that's one thing. It's still wrong, but it's not going to have any impact on your mother if the fine is paid. You can go on with your lives and it'll never come to haunt you again. Going to a courthouse and representing your mother in a bid to have changes made to the charges is another thing. Either tell your mother or don't even bother pretending she's given the go ahead for you to represent her.

That being said, the red light had been red for 2 seconds when you blew through the intersection at 70km. I suggest you wake up. You weren't even close to making that light.

speedygonzales

bend wrote:
speedygonzales wrote:ahh, okay. does my ticket have any missing areas that will allow it to get dismissed?

Red light camera camera offenses are pretty standard. The technology calculates all the numbers and then someone looks it over to make sure the pictures show everything they need to show (you behind the line, red light, you passed the line, red light, license plate) and they sign off on it. Generally, when people find out it's just a fine with no insurance ramifications, they just bite the bullet. If you got some free spare time, you can attend the courthouse and see if you can get it reduced BUT the ticket isn't addressed to you so i'd suggest you stop right there.

You have no business dealing with this ticket as it's no concern to you. It wasn't addressed to you and you shouldn't attempt to represent someone who hasn't asked you to represent them. We've all been teens. If you want to intercept the mail and pay for the fine, that's one thing. It's still wrong, but it's not going to have any impact on your mother if the fine is paid. You can go on with your lives and it'll never come to haunt you again. Going to a courthouse and representing your mother in a bid to have changes made to the charges is another thing. Either tell your mother or don't even bother pretending she's given the go ahead for you to represent her.

That being said, the red light had been red for 2 seconds when you blew through the intersection at 70km. I suggest you wake up. You weren't even close to making that light.

Im not trying to be a smart ass, but im the one who was driving and i cant afford the ticket. I asked to meet with the prosecutor and get a reduced fine because the fine isnt going to get any higher, so its worth a shot. As for the ticket in general, it was 6 in the morning, and it was either i run the light or get smashed by the other cars, like its a minivan not a ferrari, it doesn't stop on a dime.

speedygonzales

JohnDeere wrote:Yo generally don't need any sort of letter authorizing you. You only need her to OK it. I have represented a number of my friends when they have got speeding tickets and parking tickets.

thats what my friends have told me, they just ask for verbal confirmation of authorization, like did so and so allow you to represent them...

hawaii

by: hawaii on

speedygonzales wrote:
bend wrote:

Im not trying to be a smart ass, but im the one who was driving and i cant afford the ticket. I asked to meet with the prosecutor and get a reduced fine because the fine isnt going to get any higher, so its worth a shot. As for the ticket in general, it was 6 in the morning, and it was either i run the light or get smashed by the other cars, like its a minivan not a ferrari, it doesn't stop on a dime.

If you walk in to any court with this attitude , you got no hope. This is a really serious mistake you made, Own up to it!, you might surprise youself at the outcome of doing so.

CumminsDiesel

by: CumminsDiesel on

speedygonzales wrote:
JohnDeere wrote:Yo generally don't need any sort of letter authorizing you. You only need her to OK it. I have represented a number of my friends when they have got speeding tickets and parking tickets.

thats what my friends have told me, they just ask for verbal confirmation of authorization, like did so and so allow you to represent them...

I would take it to trial . You just have to make sure to intercept the letter that the courts will send out with the trial date. That could mean having to collect the mail for many many months.

In court they will ask you whether or not you have permission to represent your mom. You know the answer to that question =)

The prosecutor might , right off the bat, offer you a reduced charge with half the cost of the original ticket.

I just read a post on this forum recently that one person had this charge completely dismissed because the prosecutor didn't have the photos. There may be hope at the end of the tunnel. Just make sure you intercept that letter !

Next time just make sure you only run the reds that don't have cameras. Kidding !!!

Post a Reply