A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

The word of "ONTARIO" missing and or blocked is obstruction. There are other provinces and states that have plates that are white background and blue letters.

Rusted plates I generally issue a report in notice to go get new plates. It's funny, most often it is with older drivers....not wanting to spend $20 on new plates, yet have the plates attached to a brand new plus $30k car.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
CoolChick

by: CoolChick on

What/who is actually being obstructed by being unable to see the word Ontario ?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

HwyBear, do you know if that $20 gets you the same number or are you issued a completely new one?

CoolChick wrote:Thank you HwyBear.... the word Ontario could clearly be read in this case...just tip of the letters was covered by dea;ership cover .

Apparently you can also be ticketed for any of the part of 'Yours To Discover' the Ontario slogan too.....how is this a crime.... I am just asking as it perturbs me as to how a person can be fined for such a frivolity.

No word even has to be obstructed to be able to get a ticket (conviction is another matter) - even something like a trailer hitch ball covering a small bit of the border would technically be illegal.

There are novelty plates available that look very real aside from a small difference that allows them to be legally sold - something like "Not for road use" instead of "Keep it beautiful," the shop's name instead of "Ontario," or some decorative border instead of the solid blue line. Some sort of partial covering may make a novelty plate pass as a real one.

The clear/translucent coverings can increase glare when trying to read the plate, reduce the reflective properties for reading them at night (especially if they are scratched up), or even have "evasion" gadgets built in like turning opaque with an electrical charge, or the weird magnifying-glass covers that are supposed to thwart 407 cameras.

EDIT: "Keep it beautiful"? Er...I mean "Yours to discover"

Bookm

by: Bookm on

I get a kick out of the crappy paint quality on the newer "florescent" plates. Over and over again, I see the blue lettering has faded almost completely off the plate. Are we really supposed to pay $20 for a mistake the MTO made? Can't help but suspect yet another government tactic by making us spend MORE money replacing worn out plates.

I have a vanity plate from the '80s and the paint is still in perfect condition. Might not reflect laser quite as well as the new ones, but much better paint quality?

hwybear

Posting Awards

Bookm...everything is made cheaper these days...from car frames to furniture to clothing etc.... nothing surprise me anymore!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

hwybear wrote:Bookm...everything is made cheaper these days...from car frames to furniture to clothing etc.... nothing surprise me anymore!

Bear, to the best of your knowledge, if I was to touch up the rusty plate on my own, is it a ticket?

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Squishy

:lol: :lol: Did someone click the edit button on CoolChick's post by mistake? (I quoted the original, and now it looks like she answered her own question :shock: )

Reflections wrote:
hwybear wrote:Bookm...everything is made cheaper these days...from car frames to furniture to clothing etc.... nothing surprise me anymore!

Bear, to the best of your knowledge, if I was to touch up the rusty plate on my own, is it a ticket?

Good question. I've thought about doing that to my own, but would have to special-order the reflective paint unless I can get some connections through my old sign-shop job.

I'm thinking that, while technically illegal, you should be fine if you do a good job. You'll likely get a ticket if it looks visibly altered (e.g., don't use a blue Sharpie).

CoolChick

CoolChick wrote:

The most important, I'm guessing is for the public to see the plate, in wondering why there are many reasons..

- hit and run

- robberies

- abductions / AMBER ALERTS

etc..

Proper plate information is critical to locating and apprehending the vehicle and persons inside as quickly as possible. In various parts of our Province the level of out-of-province visitors is higher, but some out of province plates look very similiar.

here is one example of a similiar plate...

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT SOMEONE HAS LOGGED INTO MY ACCOUNT ?????

I DID NOT POST THIS POST...... any takers ?????

Squishy

Don't worry, my guess is that one of the admins/mods did it by accident. They have an "Edit" button for every post on here which is right next to the "Quote" button.

CoolChick

Plenderzoosh wrote:Having a dirty plate isn't a criminal offense (no criminal record associated with it obviously) so therefore it is not a crime. Yeah that's basically the definition of a crime: something that the government deems to be a criminal offense.

Actually that is not lawful or true...

Our laws and rights are based on pre-government law. Thats known as Common Law. Governments are elected by the people for the people...governments cannot (they don't tell us this of course) govern if a person or people do not accept its governance. Also statutes should be based on the law that preceded government as these laws cannot be refuted. Therefore all subsequent statutes (acts) are simply legislations that are only bound by a person accepting it...it is a two way street.

Just like any traffic ticket if you don't 'accept it' it is not valid....and BY LAW a plea cannot be entered for you regardless of what you are told. Only the accused can plea.... if any plea is made without your consent the person making that plea is now responisible for your ticket. If a JP or magistrate enters a plea for you then they are now acting as your counsel and can be fired for misrepresenting you.

hwybear

Posting Awards

CoolChick - YES, I take the blame on that incorrect button press.....went to "quote" your words....not add to them by hitting the "edit" button. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

this was meant to be mine

The most important, I'm guessing is for the public to see the plate, in wondering why there are many reasons..

- hit and run

- robberies

etc..

Proper plate information is critical to locating and apprehending the vehicle and persons inside as quickly as possible. In various parts of our Province the level of out-of-province visitors is higher, but some out of province plates look very similiar.

here is one example of a similiar plate...

amcamx

by: amcamx on

Squishy wrote:We have an old plate that holds sentimental value (first plate ever issued) and we did get a warning about the rust, but no ticket. I have since cleaned up the majority of the rust and moved the worse of the set to the front, but now the paint looks very faded, though still legible. I'm also curious if non-vanity-plates can be replaced, and whether we would be allowed to keep the old ones.

My father inquired about obtaining replacement plates for his van, as his are rusty, but keeping the same number and was told that it would be treated as a "Personalized Plate Replacement" and cost $93.50. I assume the additional charge is because the plate is not in sequence with the main line, that produces new plates, and requires the "special line" for personalized plates.

Proper1

by: Proper1 on

I thought $20 was too good to be true.

CoolChick

hwybear wrote:CoolChick - YES, I take the blame on that incorrect button press.....went to "quote" your words....not add to them by hitting the "edit" button. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

this was meant to be mine

- hit and run

- robberies

etc..

Well I can understand a licence plate being a tool to identify a vehicle....but a plate doesn't need to be registered or have a province name slapped across it in order to be identifiable. I mean, you could stick anything on it for it to have a uniqueness that could be identified. Usually criminals who abduct children or commit robberies steal a car to commit the crime...so the plates registered owner gets you no closer to finding the criminal. The word Ontario is of no relevance at all really in such situations.... and has no bearing on a crime. Soon they will be fining someone for having a worn drivers licence...and then charging them money to get a new one....

Squishy

CoolChick wrote:Well I can understand a licence plate being a tool to identify a vehicle....but a plate doesn't need to be registered or have a province name slapped across it in order to be identifiable. I mean, you could stick anything on it for it to have a uniqueness that could be identified. Usually criminals who abduct children or commit robberies steal a car to commit the crime...so the plates registered owner gets you no closer to finding the criminal. The word Ontario is of no relevance at all really in such situations.... and has no bearing on a crime.

Not everything is about guns and robbers. I would say in the majority of cases where a plate needs to be run (all traffic stops, hit-and-run reports, surveillance tapes, etc.) the plates are valid and being used by the registered owner.

CoolChick wrote:Soon they will be fining someone for having a worn drivers licence...and then charging them money to get a new one....

Why shouldn't they? That sounds reasonable to me. If it is worn to the point of being hard to read, it should be replaced.