A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

puzzled

Plate Question

by: puzzled on

Maybe this has been answered before and if so I apologise for doing so again. Here goes:

Sold my vehicle the other day and removed plates. Want to buy another used one today ( Sunday). MTO closed. Can I put on my old plates and use my ownership and insurance slip till Monday so that I can drive the vehicle?

Take the mystery out of driving. Use your turn signal.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

There are a few stipulations for doing so:

- you can no longer own the vehicle the plates were on (I would keep a copy of bill of sale to other person with me)....what happens if they do not register your previous vehicle

- the plates must go on a similar class of vehicle (car to car, truck to truck)

- used vehicle plates going onto must have a valid Safety Standard Certificate (valid within 36days)

- plates have to be valid

- carry permit portion for licence plate (1/2 of ownership)

- carry permit portion for vehicle (other 1/2 of ownership), which will be signed, dated by previous owner

- have 6 days to register the vehicle

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

puzzled wrote:Maybe this has been answered before and if so I apologise for doing so again. Here goes:

Sold my vehicle the other day and removed plates. Want to buy another used one today ( Sunday). MTO closed. Can I put on my old plates and use my ownership and insurance slip till Monday so that I can drive the vehicle?

You are not supposed to do that. You will have valid insurance if anything goes wrong.

Best to get someone to drive directly behind you till you get where you want to go.

I know it is dumb .

In colarado you pay $2. for a 30 day travel permit.

Good luck

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
puzzled

by: puzzled on

Thank you both. I do have the safety and my insurance company has been notified. Just have to get over to the MTO to get the new ownership.

Take the mystery out of driving. Use your turn signal.
Post a Reply