A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

smooth75

Plate Stickers

by: smooth75 on

Hello Folks,

Today i was pulled over for an expired plate sticker. (5 days past the date)

The officer took my license, registration and insurance. When he returned he informed me to go to the nearest service ontario office to renew, and handed me my fine.

Come to find out he gave me 2 tickets, at $110 dollars each, one for not having a sticker on my plate, and one for not having a sticker on my permit.

I'm new to Ontario, but when I told the teller at service ontario about the 2 tickets she seemed shocked and said "i've never heard of that"

Do I have a leg to stand on here? My work is seasonal and it's the slow season right now, and my wife is a student so $220 is a hard pill to swallow right now. Alot of money in my world.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Thats ridiculous on the officer's part. In my mind that would fall under a principle of law known as the kienapple principle, where you cant be convicted of two offences that arise from basically the same facts.

Request a first attendance meeting with the Crown. I have no doubt theyll withdraw one of the two tickets in exchange for a plea on the other one. They might offer a substantially reduced fine as well. Take proof that you've renewed your ownership.

Post a Reply