A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

SpHiNxXx

Television/dvd Player Visible To Driver

by: SpHiNxXx on

Hey all so i just got a ticket for "Television visible to driver" contrary to H.T.A 78 (1)(6) ..... A "Television" meaning in-dash DVD screen. Now im almost positive that i read once that as long as there is no MOVING images such as a movie, video, or Photo Slide show then a in-dash DVD player is perfectly legal.... What about all those highend cars with the build in navigation screens... I was pulled over on the lakeshore for speeding... 81 in a 60.... mind you i was just coming off the ramp fromt he gardiner so i didnt even have a chance to slow down yet... but thats not the issue here.. my dvd screen was up when the 'Officer of the Law' came to get my info.... the screen was on radio... so there was no moving images or anything... the only thing moving was the clock! lol... do i have a shot at winning this if i fight it... which i plan to anyways just looking for some input

.. please and thank you!

Bookm

by: Bookm on

tel·e·vi·sion (tl-vzhn)n.

a. An electronic apparatus that receives electromagnetic waves and displays the reconverted images on a screen.

b. The integrated audible and visible content of the electromagnetic waves received and converted by such an apparatus.

If you're guilty, so is anyone with a backup camera/monitor system. In fact, I'm guilty too, because my radio displays information about the song I'm listening to.

It's obvious the law was created to prevent drivers from watching TV while driving. You weren't doing this, so I would think a Justice would see that the charge is inappropriate in this case. I think the fact that it's also a radio is your saving grace.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Bookm wrote:tel·e·vi·sion (tl-vzhn)n.

a. An electronic apparatus that receives electromagnetic waves and displays the reconverted images on a screen.

b. The integrated audible and visible content of the electromagnetic waves received and converted by such an apparatus.

If you're guilty, so is anyone with a backup camera/monitor system. .

Televsions for backing up and GPS are exempt. As they both aid in the safe operation of a motor vehicle.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

SpHiNxXx wrote:I was pulled over on the lakeshore for speeding... 81 in a 60.... mind you i was just coming off the ramp fromt he gardiner so i didnt even have a chance to slow down yet... but thats not the issue here.. my dvd screen was up when the 'Officer of the Law' came to get my info.... the screen was on radio... so there was no moving images or anything... the only thing moving was the clock! lol... do i have a shot at winning this if i fight it... which i plan to anyways just looking for some input

.. please and thank you!

There is ample time to slow down there, and rumble strips too!

The trap is there always, it's a perfect fishing hole and I have seen them sit at the top of the off ramp,and going W/B at the top of the on ramp!

Hope you beat both!!!!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
SpHiNxXx

by: SpHiNxXx on

hwybear wrote:
Bookm wrote:tel·e·vi·sion (tl-vzhn)n.

If you're guilty, so is anyone with a backup camera/monitor system. .

Televsions for backing up and GPS are exempt. As they both aid in the safe operation of a motor vehicle.

my unit is all of the above... it has GPS, it has Backup Camera, its got bluetooth for handsfree driving, even a remote so i dont have to look down at the screen to change songs. not to mention the Video Disable feature when the hand break is not pulled!!! what more safety aids do you want!?

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

I think you can create reasonable doubt by asking what the officer actually saw on the screen. I doubt he will remember. He probably saw a screen larger than a GPS and asssumed it was a DVD unit. He wasn't aware of what your unit has (and it sounds like an awesome unit). Bring the manual to court as proof. If your unit had any of the other driving aids on the screen or was blank then you should be OK.

Re: the speeding: If you were going Eastbound then the angle of the ramp is probably to severe for the lidar or radar to take an accurate reading. You would have to check the operating manual for parameters.

Post a Reply