A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

sklmok

Entire Plate Not Plainly Visible

by: sklmok on

I got a ticket this morning for disobey sign and entire plate not plainly visible. I was driving on main road and made a left turn to a subdivision. As soon as I turned I noticed that there is a newly set up sign for bus exception between 7:00-9:00 am. I would like to know if there is any demerit point for disobey sign. If yes, what is the chance to fight the charge?

In addition, for the charge of entire plate not plainly visible, I told the officer that my plate number and the sticker on the plate was clearly visible so what causes the charge. He told me that the license plate was covered by the dealer cover and part of the plate not visible. I told him that everybody have such kind of license plate provided by dealer and I never know this is an offence. He insisted that this is violation of traffic act. Is there any chance to fight this charge?

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

You should request for disclosure (officer's notes) and schedule a trial/early-resolution meeting.

Disobeying the sign under S.182 of the HTA carries two demerit points: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0339_e.htm

Look up the by-law that enforces the sign, and you might be able to get the charge reduced to a municipal by-law. However, it may still carry two demerit points because it's associated with a prohibited turn. It won't affect your insurance, unless you have enough points to get your license suspended.

I would suggest taking pictures of your plate with the dealer cover on and off, and show them to the prosecutor. It's unfortunately up to the discretion of law enforcement officers; it might be in your best interest to permanently remove the dealer cover to avoid getting future tickets. I know people who've gotten obstruct plate tickets for using "plate-protectors" purchased from Service Ontario.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/licence-plate ... ic-ticket/
Post a Reply