The Ontario Highway Traffic Act section 78.1(1) deals with Hand-held devices and distracted driving.
terdferguson

Posting Awards

Display Screen Visible To Driver

by: terdferguson on

Could you, in theory and within the scope of the current law, watch a movie on an iPhone mounted to your windshield while driving - without touching the device or holding it?

Section 78 appears to exempt the screen of a prescribed hand-held device. While I believe this would be absolutely dangerous, is this a gap in the legislation? I have not been charged with anything. I saw someone doing this on the highway and it made me curious. What are your thoughts?

78. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway if the display screen of a television, computer or other device in the motor vehicle is visible to the driver. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

Exceptions

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the display screen of,

(a) a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information;

(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);

(c) a logistical transportation tracking system device used for commercial purposes to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods;

(d) a collision avoidance system device that has no other function than to deliver a collision avoidance system; or

(e) an instrument, gauge or system that is used to provide information to the driver regarding the status of various systems of the motor vehicle. 2009, c. 4, s. 1.

Post a Reply