Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Scary Situation
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:13 am 

A few days back, on patrol, I stopped a car going the other way for his dark window tint. I couldn't see in and we all know this is rather common.

My spider sense was tingling and there was radio traffic, so rather than book off, I immediately went to driver's window.

The driver was hunched over the passenger seat with the glovebox open...I couldn't see what he was doing so I told him to sit up and face me.

Young fella, mid 20's...custom car...you know the type.

We had a conversation about window tint, he thought his was ok, not too dark, so I took a pic with my Iphone from 2 ft away and showed him...he was polite so I gave him a warning, he smiled, thanked me and drove off.

3 hours later he shot himself with a shot gun, in the car, ammo was in the glove compartment.

Did I almost get shot? Did I move too quickly for his 'suicide by cop' improvised plan? Did I miss a sign of someone in pain?

I can tell you I had no concerns as the driver showed no signs of anxiety, distance or depression. Had he not lowered his window and chosen to raise the shotgun at me, I'd have never seen it coming.

A cautionary note to the other officers here, and perhaps a little insight to those sporting dark tint.

We just never know what we are dealing with....

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 am 

First of all, glad your safe and it didn't turn into a bad situation. Don't blame yourself for what he did. Your head may be spinning now, but again, you had no control over his actions and the main thing is that you went home safe.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:08 am 
VIP

Don't beat yourself up speculating about it. Who knows, maybe his original intent was a murder/suicide but you treating him nice diverted him from killing someone else. We'll never know but the point is your actions just as likely had a positive effect on the situation as they did a negative effect.

The important thing is, as always, you went home at the end of the day.

Re: Scary Situation
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm 

FyreStorm wrote:
A few days back, on patrol, I stopped a car going the other way for his dark window tint. I couldn't see in and we all know this is rather common.

My spider sense was tingling and there was radio traffic, so rather than book off, I immediately went to driver's window.

The driver was hunched over the passenger seat with the glovebox open...I couldn't see what he was doing so I told him to sit up and face me.

Young fella, mid 20's...custom car...you know the type.

We had a conversation about window tint, he thought his was ok, not too dark, so I took a pic with my Iphone from 2 ft away and showed him...he was polite so I gave him a warning, he smiled, thanked me and drove off.

3 hours later he shot himself with a shot gun, in the car, ammo was in the glove compartment.

Did I almost get shot? Did I move too quickly for his 'suicide by cop' improvised plan? Did I miss a sign of someone in pain?

I can tell you I had no concerns as the driver showed no signs of anxiety, distance or depression. Had he not lowered his window and chosen to raise the shotgun at me, I'd have never seen it coming.

A cautionary note to the other officers here, and perhaps a little insight to those sporting dark tint.

We just never know what we are dealing with....

wow. That story is intense.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm 

There is more sadness in this world then we care to imagine. Sometimes it hides behind tinted windows....Glad you are ok, I'd miss your banter :D

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:28 pm 

I'm glad to hear your guardians were perched on your shoulder and you're here to tell us about it. Sometimes when someone has made up their mind on suicide, they are at peace with the world knowing they're leaving it. It's a warning sign, but you couldn't have known that because you didn't know the young man. It doesn't sound like he was an angry young man wanting to take someone with him, or force their hand because he lacked the courage to do it himself.

It's a sad story, but I am grateful you are safe.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 pm 

Quote:
but you couldn't have known that because you didn't know the young man. It doesn't sound like he was an angry young man wanting to take someone with him, or force their hand because he lacked the courage to do it himself.

It's a sad story, but I am grateful you are safe.

Agree with all points. You very likely were not in danger. Nothing you could have done to prevent what happened later. Obviously everyone is grateful you were not hurt. Try not to dwell on it or it may affect judgment in a future situation.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear of such a thing.

RIP

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm 

Glad to hear that you're okay. I agree with the others - try not to dwell on it. It's sad that the young man chose to end his life, but it's nothing you could've stopped. What more could be expected of you? Nothing. You can't do everything or read people's minds. At this point, the main thing is that you walked away from the situation safely, and you went home to your family at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 pm 

WOW!! :shock:
glad you went home at end of shift!!!