A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hsikah

Out Of Province Suspension, Nova Scotian License

by: hsikah on

Hi I’m not exactly sure where to post this.

Recently I got a 3 day suspension for a dui, I’m a novice driver, I didn’t think I had any liquor in my system but clearly did this breaking the zero tolerance. I live in Nova Scotia and am not quite sure how this all work. I have a Nova Scotian drivers license and got the suspend which on vacation.

I now have a 30 suspension for violating the rules that were on my license. I paid my ticket for my dui back a few months went I got it since I don’t have money to be staying for court, I’m young and pretty broke.

I have a couple of questions one being who do I pay to get my license reinstated, Ontario or here in Nova Scotia? All the suspension letter said was that I need to send them my license, so will there be any more fees or do I have to do any programs? Also if there anything I should check or follow up on or if I did what they said I had am I fine after this suspension is done?

I know what I did was wrong and don’t want any pity or anyone attacking me I just need advice and information since I haven’t come upon anything helpful to my situation yet.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Ontario has a zero tolerance when it comes to alcohol for what would be considered a novice driver. That means you have to blow a zero.

The 3 day suspension you received is what's called an administrative suspension. You didn't blow over the legal limit, but in your case you're a novice driver.

The 30 day suspension is because you broke one of the conditions as a novice driver (.0 BAC). Any time you break a condition, it comes with a 30 day suspension for the first offense.

There is no program. You will have to pay a reinstatement fee after the 30 days to get your license back. It's $281.

hsikah

bend wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:30 am

Ontario has a zero tolerance when it comes to alcohol for what would be considered a novice driver. That means you have to blow a zero.

The 3 day suspension you received is what's called an administrative suspension. You didn't blow over the legal limit, but in your case you're a novice driver.

The 30 day suspension is because you broke one of the conditions as a novice driver (.0 BAC). Any time you break a condition, it comes with a 30 day suspension for the first offense.

There is no program. You will have to pay a reinstatement fee after the 30 days to get your license back. It's $281.

Hi so just a follow up, why do I have to pay back a reinstatement fee to Ontario when I have a Nova Scotian license? And will I not be able to get my license back without paying this fee? Lastly do you think that I’d have to also pay a fee to Nova Scotia as well? Thanks.

hsikah

I just got a notice of outstanding licensing requirements on the page at the top it says status: drivers license cancelled. Under tests required it says road , inside (I don’t understand what inside means) does there need to be a check next to them or does just the words indicate I need to take both again, under other documents being issued it has boxed that aren’t ticked. There is also the wording on it that confuses me because it seems to imply I can just go get another license without any test “based on your driving record with the ministry of transportation on sept 16 you suspension ends sept 24 (literally tomorrow). To obtain a drivers license in your local jurisdiction take this notice to your local licensing office.” . A few questions I have are do I have to pay the reinstatement fee to Ontario when I don’t live there and I have a Nova Scotian license. Do I need to take any tests. Is my license actually canceled. Do I have to start back at square one when I’ve been driving for 3 years or do I just need to restart then part of my license ( I have a novice license but I have the 3 level I guess you could say). Any answers are helpful because this is my first ticket and I’m surprised that it would be canceled after my suspension.

Post a Reply