Do Tickets On A Out Of Province License Affect Insurance?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

qf22

Do Tickets On A Out Of Province License Affect Insurance?

Unread post by qf22 »

Hi,

I didn't really know where to go for this question, but this seemed like an alright place to try.

I just to moved Guelph from Manitoba to do my MSc in September. Back in MB in summer 2012 I got 3 tickets, but 1 got quashed (not having a license on me), but the other two did not. One was for going 129 in a 100 zone and the other for not stopping at a stop sign (separate occasions, just very close together). One ticket got reduced and I paid the other in full (total $400), but for some reason got no demerits for it (license cost didn't change).

So I finally started to shop around for car insurance and most placed are quoting me $3200-$3800. They ask about tickets, however they don't specify if they are from Ontario or not.

By my logic, tickets from other provinces should not count towards a higher insurance as there is no memorandum of understanding (that I know of) that state that the Manitoba Highway Traffic Act is equivalent to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

What are your thoughts on this; do out of province tickets (made with a non-ON license) impact ON insurance costs?

Thanks

Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

They certainly can.

Convictions from out of province will also place demerit points on your Ontario licence.

ONTARIO REGULATION 339/94 outlines the process in section 4

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

qf22 wrote:By my logic, tickets from other provinces should not count towards a higher insurance as there is no memorandum of understanding (that I know of) that state that the Manitoba Highway Traffic Act is equivalent to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Provinces along with many U.S. States share a Reciprocal Agreement. Your ticket in another province or state will be applied to your home province accordingly.

OPS Copper

Unread post by OPS Copper »

Plus if you lie to the insurance company they will drop you. Then you will be classed as high risk and wait until you see your premiums then.

OPS