Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

LEO's vs job bloggs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:19 am 

So to try and get a handle on the real deal is (as far as Canadian LEO's etc)

So,

i) (real) Police Officers; I mean in the sense of how joe public see/id's a PC
ii) Campus Police
iii) Specials (maybe a UK term, but I believe same here, part-time police etc)
iv) Transport police

So, comparing ii & iii & iv , what powers do they lack (if any) compared to i0
i.e. arrest, pull traffic over, direct traffic etc, give you a ticket etc

----------------------------------------------
all the above compared with joe public,
so can I perform a Citizens arrest, hold a person, stop them from leaving if I have seen them commit a crime, or suspect them
whilst I've called 911 and waiting from someone to arrive.
what are the downsides.
If a lady shouts STOP Thief, and I stop them , what problems could I potentially run into

so essentially what is the difference between ME joe public and a Police officer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I see somone engaged in a police struggle etc,
can I film, photo and or otherwise witness the event without interfering
and
b> am I allowed to in a public place video, photo anyone, any situation without there consent, including polic

thanks !

* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail

Re: LEO's vs job bloggs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

Most of the powers of arrest and the power to enforce certain Acts are listed in act themselves. Criminal powers of arrest for both a Peace officer and citizen are in the Criminal Code. You might want to start there to answer your own questions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 pm 

txs dude

Decatur wrote:
Most of the powers of arrest and the power to enforce certain Acts are listed in act themselves. Criminal powers of arrest for both a Peace officer and citizen are in the Criminal Code. You might want to start there to answer your own questions.

* Challenge every ticket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:18 pm 

Has already been answered but the fundamental categories are Peace Officers (Criminal Code 495) and Citizens (Criminal Code 494) powers of arrest. the biggest difference is that a citizen must witness a criminal act (generally indictable) whereas a Peace Officer can arrest for RPG (reasonable and probable grounds). I'd encourage you to exercise caution before making a citizens arrest.

Police Officers are Police Officers 24/7 throughout the Province - Special Constables may have Police Powers but are generally only Peace Officers when on duty and within a specified geographic area detailed in their appointment.

Campus Police (Special Constables), Special Constables (in the context you are using them I assume you mean Auxilliary Police) and Transport Police (in the case of Federal railways Police Officers, and in the case of Go Transit and YRT Special Constables) are all Peace Officers, but in the case of non-Police Peace Officers generally have their authority limited to Federal and Provincial acts as detailed in their appointments (which can include the Criminal Code, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, YCJA, Highway Traffic Act, Trespass to Property Act, Liquor Licence Act, Mental Health Act etc).

Video taping something in a public place? You're probably OK as long as your presence isn't interfering with the Police or infringing on someones reasonable expectation of privacy - but beware if you're on private property and are told by someone in authority to stop and leave and you fail to comply you could find yourself arrested under the Trespass to Property Act.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:53 am 

txs that explains a lot

cheers !

Mugwug wrote:
Has already been answered but the fundamental categories are Peace Officers (Criminal Code 495) and Citizens (Criminal Code 494) powers of arrest. the biggest difference is that a citizen must witness a criminal act (generally indictable) whereas a Peace Officer can arrest for RPG (reasonable and probable grounds). I'd encourage you to exercise caution before making a citizens arrest.

Police Officers are Police Officers 24/7 throughout the Province - Special Constables may have Police Powers but are generally only Peace Officers when on duty and within a specified geographic area detailed in their appointment.

Campus Police (Special Constables), Special Constables (in the context you are using them I assume you mean Auxilliary Police) and Transport Police (in the case of Federal railways Police Officers, and in the case of Go Transit and YRT Special Constables) are all Peace Officers, but in the case of non-Police Peace Officers generally have their authority limited to Federal and Provincial acts as detailed in their appointments (which can include the Criminal Code, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, YCJA, Highway Traffic Act, Trespass to Property Act, Liquor Licence Act, Mental Health Act etc).

Video taping something in a public place? You're probably OK as long as your presence isn't interfering with the Police or infringing on someones reasonable expectation of privacy - but beware if you're on private property and are told by someone in authority to stop and leave and you fail to comply you could find yourself arrested under the Trespass to Property Act.

* Challenge every ticket