Incorrect Set Fine Payable - Force Fatal Error

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

stickz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Incorrect Set Fine Payable - Force Fatal Error

by: stickz on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:57 pm

My car is a 2008 hyundai sonata gls. The speedometer is a needle and there's an odometer that calculates average speed. These do not agree on which speed i'm travelling while cruise control is on. The odometer reads three kilometers less when left to average out for five minutes.

I don't not plan on using speedometer calibration as a defense. It's merely an indicator of the area for the locked in 111km/h radar reading. And that there's no way my speed could have accidentally pored into the four demerit point range while cruise control was on, due to overestimation.

And my cruise control was not set to 110km/h, it was intentionally set lower than this on my speedometer. I know I can't come out and say where my cruise control was set, this is why i'm challenging where the radar reading was taken. Because it was within the range of his radar gun and speeds were higher in that area, than what my cruise control was set at. It would be physically impossible for my cruise to read 111km/h.
Last edited by stickz on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.


User avatar
bobajob
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

by: bobajob on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 pm

I don't know about any other piece of equipment, what I am explaining is a piece of electronics I know.
On speedo's it has "nothing" to do with calibration, modern speedos' do not need to be calibrated, it is factory fixed and works
(or doesnt) if you look at a speedo, between the 0 and the bottom, there used to be a little notch that the speedo needle sat on,
that used to be the +/-10% that you could adjust, on modern speedo's that simply isnt there, because you CANT adjust it.

It is what it is, nothing is 100% yes I grant it, but you gotta better chance finding a 4 leaf clover ;)
jsherk wrote:
bobajob wrote:it's just highly implausible that the speedo is out of wack, it just doesn't happen.
Then you could make that same argument for radar and lidar and gas pumps. Oh wait, they calibrate gas pumps? Maybe gas pumps are accurate 99% of the time, but they need to be properly calibrated every so often to make sure. This should apply to radar/lidar/speedometers as well because police in Ontario are writing over 500,000 speeding tickets a year and collecting tens of millions of dollars based on uncalibrated devices.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail


User avatar
bobajob
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

by: bobajob on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm really not getting the point, and I'm sure its me ;)

but any way, your speedo is accurate,
if you have a device that calculates average speed, great (I have that as well), but that means nothing, because it's an average speed.

as a final example,
hi way is 100kmh, you set cruise at 100, your speed could vary by 10% 20% ?
cruise is set to 110km, you where speeding, you can get deviation on the cruise,
they had you at 111, regardless of what you say your cruise was set to
so your cruise drifted, you where speeding,
if you are worried about the demerits dont between 0-49 over, it is still classified as a MINOR by your insurance.
only if you dont get conviction will it matter, dont sweat 3 or 4 points
you can plead it down I pleaded 49 down to the next band 29 ?

anyway

I'm going home now, have a great day

and good luck :)
stickz wrote:My car is a 2008 hyundai sonata gls. The speedometer is a needle and there's an odometer that calculates average speed. These do not agree on which speed i'm travelling while cruise control is on. The odometer reads three kilometers less when left to average out for five minutes.

I don't not plan on using speedometer calibration as a defense. It's merely an indicator of the area for the locked in 111km/h radar reading. And that there's no way my speed could have accidentally pored into the four demerit point range while cruise control was on, due to overestimation.

And my cruise control was not set to 110km/h, it was intentionally set lower than this on my speedometer. I know I can't come out and say where my cruise control was set, this is why i'm challenging where the radar reading was taken. Because it was within the range of his radar gun and speeds were higher in that area, than what my cruise control was set at.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail


stickz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

by: stickz on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:29 pm

bobajob wrote: cruise is set to 110km, you where speeding, you can get deviation on the cruise,
they had you at 111, regardless of what you say your cruise was set to
so your cruise drifted, you where speeding,
I know my cruise can drift, this is why I set to a spot where it couldn't. But saying where it was actually set, would be enough to invoke reasonable doubt in a court room. If I have to take the witness stand, it will be what I told the officer which is 99km/h. But I won't be doing this, unless I can establish the locked in radar reading was taken in the passing zone, that wasn't visible to the officer. If this can be done, he won't be able to prove that my cruise control was set higher than this, much less even on, after the stop sign (when my car was visible) due to voir dire - breaking for a stop sign, disengages the cruise control to slow down the vehicle; without admitting a fatal error in the speed on the ticket.
bobajob wrote: if you are worried about the demerits dont between 0-49 over, it is still classified as a MINOR by your insurance.
only if you dont get conviction will it matter, dont sweat 3 or 4 points
you can plead it down I pleaded 49 down to the next band 29 ?
I already got a 38 down two levels to disobey sign because it was impossible to win it, due to the radar speed being verified by pacing.

This second ticket is going to be more serious on insurance but significantly easier to fight in trial due the situation.


jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

by: jsherk on
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:17 pm

bobajob wrote:modern speedos' do not need to be calibrated, it is factory fixed and works
As with ALL electronics, including speedometers, they can drift and do not remain factory ficed forever.
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests