A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Techieanalyst

Borla Atak To Loud? Borla Atak Catback Exhausts

by: Techieanalyst on

Not originally from Ontario but I live here now, back home people would put lots of exhausts on their trucks. Recently found a sale on Borla ATAK catback exhausts. I mean online these things sound awesome (I was after a deep throaty sound). Well installed and started the truck......it's kinda loud...it's reasonable and I'm working hard to keep the rpms under 3000 (doesn't seem to be to loud under 3000 and anything gear 7+). Then I thought about the sound and checked and yeah, I read lots of people with pickups have this exhaust and none have ever gotten tickets, but I'm concerned about getting a ticket. I mean the 1000 bucks plus 800 to install...it would suck to throw it away. It's a pickup truck, not a civic.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this topic?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Under the Highway Traffic Act, there is no guideline. It's up to an officers discretion. An officer is under no obligation to give hard numbers on how loud your exhaust is. Meaning, they don't have to sit there and measure sound. An officers reading is their ears.

Some municipalities may also have noise bylaws targeting exhausts. These are the same bylaws that keep residential construction crews from making noise at 6am or keep the neighbors dog from barking all day long. They may or may not define a "loud exhaust". For example, Oakville implemented a loud exhaust bylaw targeting motorcycle riders. There's a specific way in which they conduct tests with a decibel meter.

Techieanalyst

by: Techieanalyst on

Yeah, I drive and feel guilty. I've passed a few municipal marked vehicles, didn't seem to bother them but luckily it wasn't at a stop light or sign but it seems like this is the officers discretion.

Don't really want to waste their time nor mine. May have to revert the setup.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

THe whole purpose of a muffler is to minimize noise...think of it this way...imagine we are talking about farts...some people like the smell of their own farts, some might might even like the smell of others farts, but if we had fart laws, it would be to protect the overwhelming majority of people who hate farts smells...and while some think it's just fine to go around farting their farts...it shows a lack of respect for others...nobody wants to smell your farts...or hear your fartcans...

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

FyreStorm wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

THe whole purpose of a muffler is to minimize noise...think of it this way...imagine we are talking about farts...some people like the smell of their own farts, some might might even like the smell of others farts, but if we had fart laws, it would be to protect the overwhelming majority of people who hate farts smells...and while some think it's just fine to go around farting their farts...it shows a lack of respect for others...nobody wants to smell your farts...or hear your fartcans...

This just may be the funniest post in the entire forum!

Post a Reply