Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm
Posts: 4
Hello,

I got a speeding ticket for doing 62 on a 50 zone in Toronto. It was on Richmond St just west of Parliament St. There was a downhill ramp with the speed initially being 60 kmph and then speed changed to 50. I try to always drive within limits even on highway.

I reduced my speed as I was going downhill, but the cop caught me at 62 and gave me a ticket.
I literally begged him to let me go with a warning as I am a student with G2 and it will spike my insurance and I tried to slow down on downhill, and the officer told me that he noticed that I reduced the speed, but it was already too late.

This is where I got the ticket:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2% ... 45658,16z/

(You can use streetview to move westwards on Richmond St to see the downhill)

I got my G2 licence 10 months ago, and now very worried... as I know this will spike my insurance.
I am a student and below 25 and already paying a high insurance.

Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm
Posts: 4
Update...

I spoke with my insurance agent, and I was told that the conviction will increase premium as I am on G2, but if I get a G license, it will not spike as they forgive/allow 1 minor ticket.

So, do I go to trial with the ticket - which will give me a few months(??) and in the mean time get the G license?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:08 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:02 pm
Posts: 7
Hello!
I just had a similar situation and I am a student as well.

If you go for a lawyer, it might cost you 400+ and if the cop show up on the court, you might only have little chance to win while you still have to pay the lawyer.
Since you have already contacted your insurance provider, you might want to ask them how much they would increase your insurance and see which costs less.

personal opinion, you might want to wait for some better suggestions.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 pm 
Offline
VIP

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 813
It sounds like your insurance company told you what to. Get your G before registering the conviction.

_________________
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:20 am 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 41
rugal99 wrote:
Hello,

I got a speeding ticket for doing 62 on a 50 zone in Toronto. It was on Richmond St just west of Parliament St. There was a downhill ramp with the speed initially being 60 kmph and then speed changed to 50. I try to always drive within limits even on highway.

I reduced my speed as I was going downhill, but the cop caught me at 62 and gave me a ticket.
I literally begged him to let me go with a warning as I am a student with G2 and it will spike my insurance and I tried to slow down on downhill, and the officer told me that he noticed that I reduced the speed, but it was already too late.

This is where I got the ticket:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2% ... 45658,16z/

(You can use streetview to move westwards on Richmond St to see the downhill)

I got my G2 licence 10 months ago, and now very worried... as I know this will spike my insurance.
I am a student and below 25 and already paying a high insurance.

Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.


For 12 over ! What a pathetic waste of our tax dollars. What day of the week & time was this ? Did the cop seem like a rookie ? If you take this to court you might end up a happy camper.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:16 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
rugal99 wrote:
Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.


This is one of those situations where you're probably better off dealing with the ticket yourself instead of hiring a representative. They aren't going to offer any solutions or do any amount of work that's going to be worth their cost.

There's no where to really go with this ticket in terms of seeking some sort of reduction. 12km over isn't something prosecution can really do anything with and any offer wouldn't be worth even considering. It is what it is and they're going to tell you to take it or leave it. Maybe they offer you something like 10km over, but a conviction is still a conviction. Your insurance isn't going to care whether it's 10 or 12 as they don't calculate rates down to the km. You pretty much have nothing to lose.

If you're eligible to take your G test in 2 or so months, you can request a trial and get finish your test in the meantime. While you're waiting, you can request disclosure.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm
Posts: 4
CumminsDiesel wrote:
rugal99 wrote:
Hello,

I got a speeding ticket for doing 62 on a 50 zone in Toronto. It was on Richmond St just west of Parliament St. There was a downhill ramp with the speed initially being 60 kmph and then speed changed to 50. I try to always drive within limits even on highway.

I reduced my speed as I was going downhill, but the cop caught me at 62 and gave me a ticket.
I literally begged him to let me go with a warning as I am a student with G2 and it will spike my insurance and I tried to slow down on downhill, and the officer told me that he noticed that I reduced the speed, but it was already too late.

This is where I got the ticket:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C2% ... 45658,16z/

(You can use streetview to move westwards on Richmond St to see the downhill)

I got my G2 licence 10 months ago, and now very worried... as I know this will spike my insurance.
I am a student and below 25 and already paying a high insurance.

Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.


For 12 over ! What a pathetic waste of our tax dollars. What day of the week & time was this ? Did the cop seem like a rookie ? If you take this to court you might end up a happy camper.


Thanks for the response. This was on Tuesday around 10.30ish am in the morning. The cop did seem quite young. I am going to trial with this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm
Posts: 4
bend wrote:
rugal99 wrote:
Do I hire paralegal, or professional help. Please help/advice.


This is one of those situations where you're probably better off dealing with the ticket yourself instead of hiring a representative. They aren't going to offer any solutions or do any amount of work that's going to be worth their cost.

There's no where to really go with this ticket in terms of seeking some sort of reduction. 12km over isn't something prosecution can really do anything with and any offer wouldn't be worth even considering. It is what it is and they're going to tell you to take it or leave it. Maybe they offer you something like 10km over, but a conviction is still a conviction. Your insurance isn't going to care whether it's 10 or 12 as they don't calculate rates down to the km. You pretty much have nothing to lose.

If you're eligible to take your G test in 2 or so months, you can request a trial and get finish your test in the meantime. While you're waiting, you can request disclosure.


Thanks for your suggestions. This is exactly what I am doing. I am taking my G Test next month (already got a date). Going to trial with this ticket.

Since this incident occurred in *almost* rush hour in downtown Toronto, I have been told that hopefully I should be able to fight/win it with proper reasoning.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: 62 on a 50 zone, downtown Toronto :(
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
rugal99 wrote:
Since this incident occurred in *almost* rush hour in downtown Toronto, I have been told that hopefully I should be able to fight/win it with proper reasoning.


Whomever told you this gave you bad advice. Speeding is what's called an absolute liability offense. What that means is you were either speeding or you weren't. There's NO in between. Either you can prove you were going 50kmph or you weren't. JP wont be interested in hearing anything else.

You still don't have much to lose anyways.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Beautiful speed trap in downtown Toronto

Axel

9

1119

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 am

Axel View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Toronto speeding 83 in 60 zone

Sandruas

4

1053

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am

287 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. $450 handicap zone ticket in Toronto

Ticketee

6

9782

Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 am

Ticketee View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Charged 90km in a posted 70km zone, actually 90 Zone

northernhighways

1

742

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:01 am

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Toronto Bylaw 32/92 38(a)

nrizkallah

2

4010

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 pm

nrizkallah View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Requesting disclosure in toronto

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

kend7510

17

5317

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:27 pm

racer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Parking ticket in Toronto

markshawn

1

2521

Sat May 28, 2011 9:21 pm

nerd View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Parking for Dummies in Toronto

piezomot

3

8008

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Location of Toronto Cameras

MrJones99

2

1167

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:14 am

daggx View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Bayview Avenue @ Lawrence, Toronto

Radar Identified

1

1386

Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Lakeshore Boulevard @ Logan, Toronto

Radar Identified

0

1017

Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Avenue Road @ St. Clements, Toronto

Radar Identified

0

1105

Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.