markshawn

Parking Ticket In Toronto

by: markshawn on

I parked on a street that has permit parking in Toronto (where I don't possess the permit) and got a ticket. The street is a long one and only at either end of the street (not the middle where I parked is there any notice that I may not park their during certain hours that are for permit parking only). How do I find out what the law is in terms of what the maximum distance that is allowable for a sign to be enforceable?

nerd

by: nerd on

markshawn wrote:I parked on a street that has permit parking in Toronto (where I don't possess the permit) and got a ticket. The street is a long one and only at either end of the street (not the middle where I parked is there any notice that I may not park their during certain hours that are for permit parking only). How do I find out what the law is in terms of what the maximum distance that is allowable for a sign to be enforceable?

On each sign at each end of the parking area, there will be an arrow pointing in the direction of the no parking zone. In your case, I suspect the arrow at one end is pointing in the direction of the other sign at the other end and vice versa. This would indicate that there is no parking without permit in between the two signs where you parked. The distance is not relevant to what the signs are telling you.

The proper way to read parking signs is to identify where they start and end by the arrows on the bottom corners of the signs before you park. If you try to park and the sign shows an arrow pointing ahead of you, you need to park before that sign if you're allow, or drive up to the next sign. If the next sign has an arrow pointing back at the previous sign, you can park ahead of that sign, if you're allowed. If you see a sign that has arrows pointing in both directions, you cannot park at all, until you find the sign that points in the direction behind you. Again, that's only if you can park there (no fire hydrant, 9-meters or more from an intersection, not blocking a driveway, wheelchair access, bus routes, loading zones, etc.).

When you go to pay the ticket, ask to speak with someone about receiving the ticket when no signs were clearly posted. You can explain that the signs are so far apart, there are no signs indicating no parking where you parked. They may reverse the fine. On the other hand, it's a parking ticket so it's maybe $20? You may even just want to pay it since it does not go on your driving record.

Post a Reply