A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

whiteman

Can They Do That ???

by: whiteman on

Cool site & thanks for all the info !!!

February 07 I was involved in a minor fender bender, the police were called. They showed up with their pamphlets so the other driver & I could exchange information. We were told by the officer that we must go & report this accident to the Collision Reporting Center. With my work the soonest I could go was today. Well I guess that was not good enough for our local police force. Saturday night (FEB 11) at 8:00 pm, I had two officers pounding on my door. They wanted to talk to me about the accident & they weren't very nice about the whole thing. I told them to give me a minute so I could get my coat & I would meet them out side. As I walked out I notice that there was four officers & two cruisers in my driveway. I thought I was going to jail or something. I was then asked for my license & paper work for my truck. One of the officers ask me about the accident as he filled out a report with my info. Then he ask me the same questions again, but this time he was writing on the back of the report what I was saying. He then told me that he might charge me with follow too closely, but first he has to talk to the witness & the officers that reported to the scene of the accident.

Can they do that ????? Charge me over a week later.

Thanks

Marty

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Yes, they have six months to proceed with the charge.

I personally wouldn't have waited so long to attend the reporting centre. Your legally obliged to attend right away, not at your earliest convenience. You're lucky you're not being charged for failing to report it.

whiteman

by: whiteman on

Stanton wrote:Yes, they have six months to proceed with the charge.

I personally wouldn't have waited so long to attend the reportincentererre. Your legally obliged to attend right away, not at your earliest convenience. You're lucky you're not being charged for failing to report it.

It was reported & it's the officers that showed up scene that did not do their jobs. I went on Monday to the collision center & they told me that they don't do large trucks there. By the way I was driving a commercial tri-axle dump truck. The officers that showed up the day of the accident had reported it as a non reportable accident, they never look at the skid marks on the road & never made a accident report. From what I could understand, it's in the hands of another officer now.

P.S. You right about the six months, I asked the officer at the collision center.

Thanks

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

whiteman wrote:. The officers that showed up the day of the accident had reported it as a non reportable accident

If it was a "non-reportable" the officers would not have handed you a pamphlet and told you to go the Collision Reporting Centre.

there are no CRC in my area, but what I find interesting reading on MTO site

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/ve ... #collision

is that it doesnt list a CMV as being an exempt vehicle for the CRC, only list dangerous goods

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”