A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
robbiedigital

First Time Fighting...help Would Be Appreciated!

by: robbiedigital on

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. A little background on my situation:

Charged with speeding...56 in a 40 (I think!) in March 2010. Filed for a court date, but never received it. Then I got a notice saying my license was suspended because I didn't pay a fine...went to court and spoke to a JP who produced my original application which showed that they didn't copy my address properly (forgot condo unit #). As a result my license was reinstated and I was given a new trial date.

As my trial will be in August of this year (a difference of 17 months through no fault of my own), I plan on filing an 11(b), but first I need to request disclosure. I'm noticing some conflicting information on a number of sites, including ticketcombat.

1) Can you still fax in a request? If so, do we know the correct address? (All templates I've seen have "Old City Hall" at 100 Queen West which is incorrect...it's 60 Queen West)

2) I work very close to downtown meaning I could file in person, but I've also read that the standard form they have for disclosure is not specific enough and doesn't ask enough questions...what is your opinion on that? Could I file my own printed Disclosure request?

3) What is your opinion on providing a phone number?

Any other advice would be great!

Much appreciated guys!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) The process to request disclosure varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Some insist you attend in person, others allow alternate methods. I can't answer for Toronto, hopefully someone else can.

2) I guess it depends what you're asking for. The list of items most ticket fighting sites recommend is ridiculous, and don't apply to 99% of charges. All you should really need for a speeding ticket is the officer's notes (either notebook form or on the ticket itself) and possibly a manual for whatever speed measuring device was used. If the notes are illegible, then you could also request a typed version.

3) Many of us recommend you do provide a phone number/e-mail address. Some courts will see a failure to provide this information as a mere stalling tactic, and any further delays could be attributed to you.

robbiedigital

by: robbiedigital on

Post a Reply