South

Should I Defend Myself Or Hire Someone?

by: South on

I was involved in a car accident today involving 1 other car. The other driver accelerated to avoid the yellow light, then once he hit the stop line it changed to yellow and he hit his brakes. We were both going over 80km.hr and I had no choice but to stop unfortunately I rear ended him.

There were skid marks to show that I clearly tried to stop as far away as possible. He told the police officer that he was completely stopped when I hit him and I was charged with careless driving.

Should I hire someone, or defend myself? My husband was in the car and the officer didn't even talk to him

Any help would be appreciated !

viper1

by: viper1 on

Following to close seems more like it.(but you were careless)

You must keep enough space between you and the next person for you to stop.

Go to a first attendance meeting and take a lesser charge.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Careless Driving is a very serious charge. Personally, if I ever got charged with it, I'd hire a paralegal without a second thought. viper1 is right, in that you could plea-bargain to a lesser offence yourself, but things can get complicated. That's why, unless you're in a tough spot financially, if I were you, I'd go ahead and hire someone. But that's just me.

Where did the crash occur? Was it in the intersection or before it? (Reason I'm asking is that you said "once he hit the stop line" the light changed to amber - which to me says that he slammed on his brakes as he entered the intersection.)

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply