Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Excessive Speeding in Quebec
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm 

In 2011, I got hit with a nasty ticket over in Quebec, 135 in a 70. That's fine, I knew what I was doing, and I faced the consequences.

I plead not guilty however, just because my insurance renewal was coming up and I thought I may as well buy my self a year, fast forward to 2014, is when I finally had a court date, and I just decided to pay the ticket before the Court Date.

It has now been well over 2 years since I paid the ticket, and the conviction still does not show up on my record (Ontario)

I got pretty lucky, because at the time of the offense, I was only a G2 driver and my license was sure to be suspended but because 2 years had passed by the conviction date, the demerits didn't transfer over and I didn't receive a license suspension. But surely the ticket should be on my record by now?

So it's been over 2 years since I paid the fine, do you fellas think it's safe to say it will most likely never show up now? Just curious with your guys experiences and out of province tickets showing up on abstracts, I've had insurance people tell me it should have transferred as soon as I paid the fine.

Re: Excessive Speeding in Quebec
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm 

I think you dodged one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm 

argyll wrote:
I think you dodged one

That's what I was thinking, I was upfront and honest about the whole situation with my insurance company, and they basically said too wait for renewal too see if they were actually going to keep me on board, too my surprise my insurance was lowered, and the reason was they never seen the actual conviction yet.

It's been over 4 years since the offense actually took place (not conviction date) and i'm happy to say I've kept the speed down :D, definitely learned my lesson.

Just interesting situation atm, I knew the court systems where slow, just didn't think this slow! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:12 pm 

What was the exact charge you got from Quebec? What section under the Quebec Highway Safety Code? Sounds like it might be 328 or 329?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 pm 

bend wrote:
What was the exact charge you got from Quebec? What section under the Quebec Highway Safety Code? Sounds like it might be 328 or 329?

It was under 329.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 pm 

If that's the case, that information certainly should have followed you to Ontario.

I've seen some users on here who have reported about reciprocal agreement convictions and have seen the change on their abstract somewhat immediately (maybe a couple days or weeks).

I doubt you'll see anything after 2 years. I guess you should consider yourself very fortunate.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:44 pm 

That is what I believe, I am extremely fortunate. How it hasn't transferred over yet, I am unsure.. My guess is it just got lost somewhere, or filed away after I paid the fine, we are all humans after all. I hope it stays off my record, considering it has been well over 2 years, but it makes it difficult when trying to get insurance for a new vehicle, because they ask you the whole "Have you been convicted in the last 3 years" to which I have to reply yes, and then go onto explain my situation and see how they handle it! haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 am 
High Authority

You told the company about the conviction, but they still lowered your rates because it was not on your record. Probably best to just leave it alone for another year and stick with the company you are with until the 3 years runs out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:36 pm 

jsherk wrote:
You told the company about the conviction, but they still lowered your rates because it was not on your record. Probably best to just leave it alone for another year and stick with the company you are with until the 3 years runs out.

I would, but the problem arises because I'm going to be insuring my motorcycle soon, so when the question comes up, it will be interesting to answer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:17 pm 
High Authority

Well just go with the same company again!

And you could answer honestly with "Yes, but not in Ontario and it does not appear on my record."