Question On Insurance

bobajob

Posting Awards

Question On Insurance

Unread post by bobajob »

Hi guy's

I am seeing different POV and answers via google regarding informing insurance of tickets.

So, from the best part it is said that you do not tell the insurance if you have a ticket because on renewal they should pull up your abstract and it will show any tickets.

Likewise a lot of people keep "schtum" on renewal and try not to talk to there insurance unless they really have to.

Obviously if I I am asked I have to tell them, because otherwise I have lied to them deliberately.

I know people who never ring there insurance and just go with the automatic renewals. I guess they should check there documents for changes? But how many do...

OK... so that said, IF you do not ring them at renewal and say "Oh by the way I have a ticket" would you be in real trouble say if you had an accident, would they walk away?

Could you be charged ? Would it be fraud which is far worse.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
highwaystar

Posting Awards

Unread post by highwaystar »

Most auto insurance policies in Ontario use the base policy set out by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. Review your own insurance policy and you'll be surprised with how similar (if not exact) it is to the OAP1.

If you check out section 1.4.1 of the OAP1, you'll see that it says:

"You agree to notify us promptly in writing of any significant change of which you are aware in your status as a driver, owner or lessee of a described automobile. You also agree to let us know of any change that might increase the risk of an incident or affect our willingness to insure you at current rates. You must promptly tell us of any change in information supplied in your original application for insurance, such as additional drivers, or a change in the way a described automobile is used."

What that means is that you are under an obligation to report to your insurer all "significant change" in your status as a driver or owner, as well as any "change" (not just significant change!) that might affect their willingness to insure you at the current rates. Clearly, a traffic conviction impacts their risk assessment of you, and by extension, may affect their willingness to insure you at the current rates.

So, guess what all that means to you?

If you fail to report your convictions to them, they can (and quite often do!) deny coverage on you if you are ever in an accident by citing your breach of the policy!!!! Many people are just driving around with a false sense of security.

So, review your own policy for similar wording and really consider whether its worth the risk to NOT report. Remember, you really don't want to be going up against your insurer right away after an accident-----they'll undoubtedly find a way to piss you off and trigger a dispute anyway----but there's no point in giving them any fuel for the fire that can be used against you!!!!

bobajob

Posting Awards

Unread post by bobajob »

thankxs all

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail