(1) In this section,
"school crossing guard" means a person sixteen years of age or older who is directing the movement of persons across a highway and who is,
(a) employed by a municipality, or
(b) employed by a corporation under contract with a municipality to provide the services of a school crossing guard. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 176 (1); 2005, c. 14, s. 1 (1).
School crossing guard shall display sign
(2) A school crossing guard about to direct persons across a highway with a speed limit not in excess of 60 kilometres per hour shall, prior to entering the roadway, display a school crossing stop sign in an upright position so that it is visible to vehicles approaching from each direction and shall continue to so display the school crossing stop sign until all persons, including the school crossing guard, have cleared the roadway. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 29 (1).
Vehicles approaching guard displaying sign
(3) Where a school crossing guard displays a school crossing stop sign as provided in subsection (2), the driver of any vehicle or street car approaching the school crossing guard shall stop before reaching the crossing and shall remain stopped until all persons, including the school crossing guard, have cleared the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle or street car is travelling and it is safe to proceed. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 29 (1).
Display of school crossing stop sign
(4) A school crossing guard shall not display on a highway a school crossing stop sign under any circumstances other than those set out in subsection (2). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 176 (4).
(5) No person other than a school crossing guard shall display on a highway a school crossing stop sign. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 176 (5).
(5.1) Every person who contravenes subsection (3) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $500. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 29 (2).
(6) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing the type, design and specifications of school crossing stop signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 176 (6).
- Similar Topics
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest