Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Roll Cages & Helmets?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:20 am 

Two stupid sounding questions. #1 It is illegal to drive a car on the street equipped with a roll cage? #2 Is it illegal to drive a car while wearing a helmet? Open face or full face, or does it matter? Both questions apply to a closed car as well as convertibles.

I have looked through the HTA and cannot find anything that says you cannot, just wondered if it was covered under some other offense?

Re: Roll Cages & Helmets?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 pm 
VIP

SmokeScreen wrote:
Two stupid sounding questions. ***Not stupid if you've already done some research yourself. Sometimes answers aren't easy to find.*** #1 It is illegal to drive a car on the street equipped with a roll cage? ***No*** #2 Is it illegal to drive a car while wearing a helmet? ***No*** Open face or full face, or does it matter? Both questions apply to a closed car as well as convertibles. ***Answers apply to both as well***

I have looked through the HTA and cannot find anything that says you cannot, just wondered if it[/color] was covered under some other offense?

***Check out Schedule 1 in Ontario Regulation 611 for more information about what components are required on vehicles.***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 pm 

This is a drag up from the past, but I thought I would leave some input here.

Driving a car on the street with a rollcage and without a helmet could potentially be dangerous. If you got rear ended and bounced your head off the main hoop, you'd most likely bust it wide open.

I am saying this only because I'm a bigger guy and I would most certainly bounce my head off the main hoop in this situation. If you were short(er), I guess it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but it is definitely still something to take into consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 am 

BIG ANGRY HILLBILLY wrote:
This is a drag up from the past, but I thought I would leave some input here.

Driving a car on the street with a rollcage and without a helmet could potentially be dangerous. If you got rear ended and bounced your head off the main hoop, you'd most likely bust it wide open.

I am saying this only because I'm a bigger guy and I would most certainly bounce my head off the main hoop in this situation. If you were short(er), I guess it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but it is definitely still something to take into consideration.

I'd agree with this poster.

There's more to your scenario that extends well over whether you'll get a ticket or not.

• Roll bar, helmet, and a racing harness are a combo. If you want to do things right, you can't have one without the other. It's either all or nothing. No helmet with a roll cage and you'll crack your head like a melon during an accident. No harness and you'll bounce around too much to make that scenario a reality. Which brings me to my next point;
  • A racing harness is not legal in Ontario unless you plan on wearing your OEM seat belt over it. You can't remove, replace, or substitute the belts that came with the car.
  • A roll cage will make you a sitting duck for your insurance company. They may refuse a claim over the cage in your vehicle when you need them the most.
  • Depending on the vehicle, a roll cage may interfere in terms of location and positioning with factory airbags (eg. curtain airbags if equipped), which lead straight back to insurance claim denial
  • Depending on the design of your cage, it may fall under "Equipment obstructing view". Whether the cage covers the top portion of the windshield or obstructs vision to the front left and right windows, you can receive a ticket.

Now to answer your question in its purist form. Can you get a ticket for simply having a roll cage? The answer is no to the best of my knowledge.