Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:01 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
cruzmisl wrote:
Can't have a licence from Quebec and be suspended in Ontario without getting charged. Its illegal. If that were the case everyone would just go to another province and get a new licence.

As far as not knowing about your suspension the courts find, after 7 days of the start date, you are considered served. This means you essentially have no defence to it.

I'd take the no d/l deal and run.


I have no deal, this just happened a few days ago, the court date is in a month or so, you are confusing the OP and me, what happened is, I was visiting Toronto back around the last holiday season and got some tickets, I guess i sort of forgot about them, and they got convicted ( improper headlights) or something small like that, but since I had an Ontario licence some years ago, they automaticly put the info on my Ontario licence and must of sent notices to my old address that I didn't live at for years.. so there was no way of me knowing I was suspended, you see?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 am
Posts: 107
I'm not confusing you and the OP. The OP should take the deal and you need to see if you can get the same. You can come up with any excuse but it doesn't matter. You need to pay your outstanding fines before getting a licence from another province.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
cruzmisl wrote:
I'm not confusing you and the OP. The OP should take the deal and you need to see if you can get the same. You can come up with any excuse but it doesn't matter. You need to pay your outstanding fines before getting a licence from another province.


What do you mean before? i got those previous tickets driving with my Quebec licence, they just went on the ontario licence record as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
Just to clarify something, at no point did you have two drivers' licences from different provinces, right? As in, when you moved from Ontario to Quebec, you surrendered your Ontario licence to Quebec in exchange for the Quebec licence, correct?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:37 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 am
Posts: 107
I suspect the officers somehow found out you had an Ontario licence; possibly through a records check. You surrendered a Quebec licence but still had a valid Ontario licence on the system. You were probably driving an Ontario plated car at the time. If that's the case they ran you in Ontario to see if you were suspended and learned of the Ontario d/l and wrote the tickets accordingly.

There is no way the fines ended up on your Ontario d/l when they were written with the Quebec info, if that's what your suggesting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
At no point did I have 2 licences, I moved to Quebec in 2005 and surrendered my ONT licence, when I got pulled over I had a Quebec licence and a Quebec plated car, the only way they found out about me previously living in Ontario is they run my name and DOB for warrants and find that I previously had a ONT licence which has long expired, but still issue tickets on that licence, so it gets suspended if any fines are unpaid...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 am
Posts: 107
Hmmm, I can't see them writing you a ticket using an expired licence. In any case you'll need to take it to court and explain what happened to the Crown. You may need a trip to the MTO for documention on when your d/l was expired.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:33 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
Yeah, i'm going to the court tomorrow to pay the fine, I know for a fact the ONT licence expired on August 2007, so I find it awkward they still write the ticket with my ontario DL# on the ticket, basicly the cop was hinting at something like oh you cannot run away from your fines, we know you are from ontario but have a quebec licence lol jackass, but in reality he does not even know that DL is long expired.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:38 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm
Posts: 354
You are issued one DL # in Ontario for ever. the number never goes away......The tickets were issued to your quebec lisc. when you did not pay they applied the suspension to your old Ontario DL...If you had never had an ontario DL they would have generated an Ontario DL#..

This is done because the province has no authority to suspend another provinces DL

C


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Caledonia, Ontario
OPS Copper wrote:
You are issued one DL # in Ontario for ever. the number never goes away......The tickets were issued to your quebec lisc. when you did not pay they applied the suspension to your old Ontario DL...If you had never had an ontario DL they would have generated an Ontario DL#..

This is done because the province has no authority to suspend another provinces DL


Sounds a bit dodgy, but makes sense: I can be suspended from driving in Ontario for something I do or fail to do in Ontario. As long as I don't try driving in Ontario again everybody's happy.

Does make ya wonder about our machine-generated "offenses," though. If the red-light camera system decides that a car with plates I used to own has offended, and sends the info to a place where I used to live, then causes eventual suspension of an Ontario licence that I used to have, I could have a big surprise waiting for me some day when I come back to visit Mummy and Daddy in Brantford.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm
Posts: 354
Why is it dodgy...if the person did not pay the Ontario fine then Yeah they are suspended from driving here....

I am not sure if machine tickets work the same....I seems to vaguely remember that they do not result in suspension but go to collection agencies for payment....but not 100% sure

GS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:10 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
I actually figured out the situation a little, I have a bunch of old fines on my ontario record from what it looks like, but only 1 is suspending me and the reason is, the cop wrote my ontario DL# on that ticket, and when it got convicted it automaticly put a suspension on it, but the other fines I have went straight to collection because my proper quebec DL# was used.

Pretty lame surprise though, aren't they supposed to give me just a notice of suspension the first time you get caught? not a ticket right away..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:21 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Caledonia, Ontario
OPS Copper wrote:
Why is it dodgy


I should have expressed myself more clearly. I meant only that it sounds dodgy to a layman -- until he thinks about it (which is often a good idea).

Machine-generated tickets are another matter, but when a (reasonably) live cop hands me a ticket, I know that I have been charged. I know that if I choose not to contest, I will be convicted and fined. I know that if I don't pay the fine, Ontario will eventually, probably, ban me from driving here. So if I drive in Ontario anyway I know I'm rolling the dice. Simple. How the records trail is generated is not my problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
mr888 wrote:
I actually figured out the situation a little, I have a bunch of old fines on my ontario record from what it looks like, but only 1 is suspending me and the reason is, the cop wrote my ontario DL# on that ticket, and when it got convicted it automaticly put a suspension on it, but the other fines I have went straight to collection because my proper quebec DL# was used.

Pretty lame surprise though, aren't they supposed to give me just a notice of suspension the first time you get caught? not a ticket right away..


What type of ticket did you get? what does it look like? colour?

the ticket is filed by police, reviewed by JP, conviction registered, and court does not get their payment. The Court then does 2 things:
1) Court notifies MTO of the lack of payment and the MTO observes that the driver has a QC DL. They also check and see that the driver used to have an ONT DL. The MTO does not need to "generate" a new ONT DL as the driver previously had a licence in Ontario. MTO then suspends the ONT DL (as they can not suspend a licence from anywhere else)
2) Court contacts a collection agency as the person resides outside of Ontario and that person may never come back to Ontario.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:45 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm
Posts: 11
hwybear wrote:
mr888 wrote:
I actually figured out the situation a little, I have a bunch of old fines on my ontario record from what it looks like, but only 1 is suspending me and the reason is, the cop wrote my ontario DL# on that ticket, and when it got convicted it automaticly put a suspension on it, but the other fines I have went straight to collection because my proper quebec DL# was used.

Pretty lame surprise though, aren't they supposed to give me just a notice of suspension the first time you get caught? not a ticket right away..


What type of ticket did you get? what does it look like? colour?

the ticket is filed by police, reviewed by JP, conviction registered, and court does not get their payment. The Court then does 2 things:
1) Court notifies MTO of the lack of payment and the MTO observes that the driver has a QC DL. They also check and see that the driver used to have an ONT DL. The MTO does not need to "generate" a new ONT DL as the driver previously had a licence in Ontario. MTO then suspends the ONT DL (as they can not suspend a licence from anywhere else)
2) Court contacts a collection agency as the person resides outside of Ontario and that person may never come back to Ontario.


Got a yellow summons ticket for "driving under suspension", and a pink notice of suspension, so if they are notifying me, why give a ticket as well?

I had these type of situations before, where I was not aware I was suspended and got served a pink notice of suspension which they made me sign, but never a ticket to go with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Possible to plea to a lesser charge?

jer0n

5

1221

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving left of centre / lesser charge

Keegan

3

1007

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 pm

iFly55 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Want to take the lesser plea after setting a court date

fsk

3

320

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:55 pm

fsk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Stunt Driving Charge - Seeking Advice! Plea Bargaining?

Mboudreau

5

3119

Thu May 14, 2015 2:52 pm

argyll View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Lesser Charge?

Robbie00

1

697

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:24 pm

jon View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. what is the lesser charge??

hockeyangel

5

1581

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Received Traffic ticket in NY, pleading for lesser charge

buddhafest

3

3431

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 am

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Recommended charge to plea down to?

perryub

14

343

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Saskman View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Careless Driving Charge w/ 1-Day Suspension "Warning"

mr_dimsum

9

1093

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:59 am

mr_dimsum View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving without Insurance & Driving while Under Suspension

jimp925

5

4732

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 am

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Lesser Offence to Disobey Sign?

Benzer6

5

1253

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Benzer6 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving under suspension

c3kan

8

3092

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 pm

OTTLegal View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.