A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

kellyboyi

Failing To Stop At A Red Light

by: kellyboyi on

I got a camera ticket today. It states that I failed to stop at a red light and I also went through the intersection. In reality, I turned right to corner shop. I had 2 passengers in the car with me that day and I have a receipt from the shop to prove I turned right. The images also show my brake light activated. Can I fight this in court? I need help. Thanks.

Attachments
13112687_1134511829932473_2064303751_o.jpg
13112687_1134511829932473_2064303751_o.jpg (58.72 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

kellyboyi wrote:I got a camera ticket today. It states that I failed to stop at a red light and I also went through the intersection. In reality, I turned right to corner shop. I had 2 passengers in the car with me that day and I have a receipt from the shop to prove I turned right.

You have to come to a stop to make a right on red.

kellyboyi wrote: The images also show my brake light activated.

It also shows you were doing 30km and you didn't stop.

kellyboyi wrote:Can I fight this in court? I need help. Thanks.

You made a right on red without stopping. The pictures are pretty self explanatory. It's a glorified parking ticket. I'd recommend trying to have it reduced and move on. Your insurance will never know this exists.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

In my opinion the pictures do not show anything. In the first picture you can not see the front of your car or the line. In the second picture your car is not there.

If your car is not even in the second picture, then why does the speed still show as 30km/h?

If they want to use the speed on the picture to convict you then I would be asking for full disclosure on the radar unit employed in the camera (manual, when was it installed, when was it tested, maintenance, etc).

Are you and at least one of your passengers willing to testify that you came to a full a stop?

Never tried to fight one of these tickets before myself, but if I was going to then this would be the one I would want!

But remember that the OWNER of the vehicle is being charged, not the driver, so if you just plead guilty and pay it will NOT be on your driving record and will NOT affect your insurance at all.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

jsherk wrote:If they want to use the speed on the picture to convict you then I would be asking for full disclosure on the radar unit employed in the camera (manual, when was it installed, when was it tested, maintenance, etc).

and you will get none of it. You might get a blown up picture and possibly a sheet from the Ministry confirming the owner of the plates.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

bend wrote:and you will get none of it. You might get a blown up picture and possibly a sheet from the Ministry confirming the owner of the plates.

And this makes for a great appeal, which of course costs more time and more money, showing once again that justice is available for those that can afford it.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

kellyboyi wrote:I got a camera ticket today. It states that I failed to stop at a red light and I also went through the intersection. In reality, I turned right to corner shop.

As Bend explained, your ticket isn't for going through the intersection, it's for not stopping first at the red light. Regardless if you're turning right, you still need to come to a full stop at the stop line prior to making your turn.

jsherk wrote:In my opinion the pictures do not show anything. In the first picture you can not see the front of your car or the line. In the second picture your car is not there.

If your car is not even in the second picture, then why does the speed still show as 30km/h?

If they want to use the speed on the picture to convict you then I would be asking for full disclosure on the radar unit employed in the camera (manual, when was it installed, when was it tested, maintenance, etc).

The regulation on red light cameras explains all the information shown in the photographs. The recorded speed is from when the first photograph was taken, not the second. The cameras don't use radar so they can no longer measure your speed once you cross the stop line.

To the best of my knowledge, all red light cameras in Ontario measure your speed with an induction loop. Basically they use the same type buried cables that commonly trigger traffic lights. Put two cables in the ground at a set distance apart and you can measure vehicle speed.

Post a Reply