Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Fail to produce required infromation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hi

Thanks for all of you in this forum for sharing useful information. I have a ticket "Failure to produce required information" 199 (1) related to the accident. I already paid the fine of $105. Since my driving history says that "Fail to report an accident" my insurance company is not willing to continue the insurance saying that it a major conviction. I am planning to go for an appeal.

Could any one tell me the possibility of discharge the offense/charges. What are the things I should be ready before I appear before the judge. Do they ask me to explain the whole incident or story. Will the police officer who gave me the ticket come to court on the day of trail.

Any suggestion are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Fail to produce required infromation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm 

why did you pay the fine?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:06 pm 
High Authority

How do you plan to reopen the matter if you've already plead guilty? I don't believe your current reason is sufficient for Court purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:30 pm 

Hi

The incident happened last year. During that time, the police officer who issued me the ticket said that the ticket is not associated with any charges / conviction. I believed that and I paid the fine.

This year my insurance company called me and said that I have a major conviction and cannot renew my insurance.

So I decided to appeal it. I hope it is clear. I don't know whether I can tell the police officer's statement while he issued me the ticket during the court trial?.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am 
High Authority

All tickets are charges and anytime you plead guilty there’s a conviction. I think you’d have a hard time convincing the Court you didn’t understand that. It explains on the back of the ticket what a guilty plea entails.

I’m also somewhat suspicious that the police officer said that. I’m thinking there was a serious miscommunication if that’s what you heard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 am 

Hi Stanton

Thanks for your email. I am 100% sure the police officer said to me on the day and also after I received the letter from the insurance company. I am not sure why he said that. I don't know whether to tell this in court or not. My point is two things.

1. He warned to me to be more careful in future. I agreed with him and said will do.
2. "the ticket said fail to furnish required information" which is misleading. As a new person I didn't understood exactly what it means at that time.

My driving history says "Fail to report an accident" since both come under 199(1) section. I came to know that recently that both charges are same. I went to police station immediately when he called me. The police officer told that I brushed the car while parking, which I might have missed to notice. So I agreed with him on that and said will be more careful in future.

This is my first ticket since I started driving the car. I hope to explain these things in the court and try my luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.