A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

silkzipp

Expired Licence Ticket?

by: silkzipp on

My daughter went for her G licence and passed, unfortunately she didn't take notice of the time limit given to get her picture taken. She was pulled over for coming to a rolling stop at a stop sign and subsequently was found to have expired plates and a temporary licence without a picture. This was a few weeks after she passed her G licence. Not that there is any good excuse for letting things slip, but she had been dealing with both physical and emotional issues that affected her judgement in multiple areas at that time. That aside, the officer didn't ticket her for the rolling stop but did for the expired plates and licence. The next day, she resolved both issues and interestingly, the same officer stopped her again the day after that to ask her if she had taken care of things. She chose to go to court for both issues. When she went to court to deal with the expired plate, they dismissed it based on the fact that the car was sold not long after the ticket was given. After the expired plate issue was dealt with, she asked the prosecutor about her invalid licence ticket and they told her that they didn't have any record of her requesting a court date for it and advised her to speak to the front desk. The front desk told her that her licence had been suspended which came as a huge surprise as she had never been notified of it. They told her that it was their mix up, not giving her two forms to fight both tickets and reinstated her licence and reopened the case for her licence.

I know that this technically is considered driving with an expired licence but is there any possibility that this fine could be reduced or even forgiven, other than hoping for the officer to not show up, given that the obvious intent was to continue to have a licence, having just taken her G licence test, she went the next day to get her picture taken, has a clean driving record and no longer owns that or any car for that matter? Her funds are limited, and I'd hate to see her have to pay such a large amount for what an innocent mistake.

silkzipp

by: silkzipp on

I just ordered my daughters driver's abstract online and I'm even more confused now. Although the courts say that they suspended her licence in error and subsequently said they had reinstated it, the abstract shows an expiry date as 2015 but that the status as CANCELLED AND UNLICENCED. It was a while ago, I think in October of 2012, but my daughter doesn't recall paying a fee for reinstatement because she was told that the licence had been suspending in error to begin with.

Post a Reply